Discus I.d

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dwyer1970

Reaction score
has anyone got any got a clue as to what discus i have? when i bought it i was told it was a turquoise discus even though it looked brown and that the colours would come out in a few of days .anyway that was 3 weeks ago now and the only change i can see in it are a very slight shade of turquoise (hardly anything) around the fish,s mouth and under the eye and a minimal amount of colour on the anal fin .there are no vertical stripes on the body or head. its basically a solid light brown colour .while i love the fish i was hoping for something with a little more colour to go with my red/ turq discus. do all discus start off this light brown colour and slowly change over time to they,re brighter colour and i,m just being impatient or have i been sold a light brown variety and hell will freeze over before i get the bright green/turquoise colour i was hoping for? p.s don't know if this helps but the dorsal and anal fins have developed a dark banding across the top and bottom of the finnage please help im losing my mind waiting for a colour change that might never happen

a pic would help. although with the info you have given i think it could be a blue discus. they are brown with some turqouise around the face and the bottom fin. do you only have one discus or is he with more?

a pic would help. although with the info you have given i think it could be a blue discus. they are brown with some turqouise around the face and the bottom fin. do you only have one discus or is he with more?
he,s i the tank with a red /turquoise discus .do you know how long the fish,s colours take to fully develop ?

post a picture it is difficult to tell without. But my red turk and brilliant turk were both brown with just colour on top and bottom fin when they were small and it eventually spread over rest of body, good quality fish should colour up eventually.Could be solid turk.How old/ what size is it?
Angel

post a picture it is difficult to tell without. But my red turk and brilliant turk were both brown with just colour on top and bottom fin when they were small and it eventually spread over rest of body, good quality fish should colour up eventually.Could be solid turk.How old/ what size is it?
Angel
it quite small probably about 2 1/2 inches round but my red/turq is the same size and that's got really bright colouring but even though they,re the same size i suppose the brown one could be younger

Angel
it quite small probably about 2 1/2 inches round but my red/turq is the same size and that's got really bright colouring but even though they,re the same size i suppose the brown one could be younger

There could be alot of diffrent reasons why your in question Discus is a diffrent color intesity. For one Discus will come in diffrent color intensities, some may be alot brighter then there simblings. Two make sure the bright colored one hasnt been induced with steroids, this is popular and can lead to health problems. Three, if you have been feeding them any color enhancing foods that could also be the reason why the brighter Discus is actually brighter.

just read that with discus with the red colours appear quicker than blue colouration. these are mine at 3.5" the brilliant turk didn't colour up till about 4.5" he's the one thats top right and then again in my signature 4th pic at 5.5"
jan07flashportrait002.jpg

hope this helps Angel

Hi Dwyer, i wouldnt worry too much, it just a matter of time.

Heres a couple of pics of my discus when i first got them at around 2" total length
P1090420.jpg

P1090506.jpg

As you can see they were showing only a little colour around their edges, i bought them as red turqs and like you i was really hoping for more colour, but they were healthy so i just kept up with the feeding and water changes.

Well now about a year on here are a couple of pics of the same fish.
Female
P1160806.jpg

Male
P1160810.jpg

i was lucky enough to get a pair from the fish i bought, they've laid egs and cared for them until rigglers in a community tank with cardinals, a couple of apistos and a few small plecs. the pics above are in a separate tank to hopefully get some fry.
Heres a quick shot of the female with some eggs
P1160005.jpg

Thanks :) Just hope i get some fry now, the pair have been in a separate tank for just over a week and as yet have shown no sign of spawning, i just need to be patient i think.

Tom

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR VALUABLE HELP ON MY PROBLEM MY MIND IS NOW AT EASE

All your discus ace mine :blush: Only if i didn't stunt the poor things -_- O well hopefully i will soon get the oppotunity to get some new babies raise them properly and have a go at breeding.

Ps sorry for hijacking your post but i am glad your q's were answered.

Hate to sound negative again on a discus post but have you researched their requirements fully? Sounds like you only have two small ones?

If so you need to buy more as discus need to be kept in groups or breeding pairs. They do take time to colour up, but it may also be stress.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back