Discus fish illness - skin inside throat blocking airway

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kevin-Mc

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a discus fish that is 18 months old. A few months back he started getting cotton growths and hole in the head. I have treated him several times in a hospital tank and raise the temp to 94 degrees for 4 days along with ā€œAPI general cureā€ and this usually cures home for a few months. However the last two times it seems as if he gets skin growth inside his mouth. A layer of skin that grows down from the top of his head. Which makes him have to open his mouth really wide just to get air. He will go after food but canā€™t get it to suck in.
I treated him with the above treatment with ā€œAPI general cureā€ and ā€œfin and body cureā€, the blockage goes away within a day or two. I kept the water at 94 for 5 days and kept on with the treatment of the two meds for 10 days. Put him back in the 75 gal and he was acting like he never was sick. Social with the other discus, eating extremely well, showing dominance (heā€™s 2nd in charge)
Anyway, I canā€™t figure out what this is and if itā€™s treatable or if I am just going to have to put him in the hospital tank every two months. Itā€™s terrible to watch him go through this.
His illness hasnā€™t effected the other fish. I hope someone knows of a permanent fix.

I attached some videos, I just moved him so his slime coat was going crazy when I took these

Normal tank conditions:
75 gal, 83 degrees F, weekly water changes, large canister filter (for 150 gal). I have 6 discus and 2 angel fish, a few smaller fish like otos, kuhli loaches, rummy nose, red tail shark.

Attachments

• FF4B2537-D443-4CE5-8152-8E0D7CF86174.jpeg
    FF4B2537-D443-4CE5-8152-8E0D7CF86174.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 11CAB1C7-A37A-4255-B82F-F9748751AEC6.jpeg
    11CAB1C7-A37A-4255-B82F-F9748751AEC6.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 40
  • 6E6E23FA-3B00-4865-89A6-2E41B56ABE18.jpeg
    6E6E23FA-3B00-4865-89A6-2E41B56ABE18.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
The videos didnā€™t upload here are better pics of his mouth

Attachments

• 30AAE677-2697-4C75-BAC0-1B449ACE41E0.png
    30AAE677-2697-4C75-BAC0-1B449ACE41E0.png
    517.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 32F6A3AD-1E7B-4C71-8642-A8984E1125D9.png
    32F6A3AD-1E7B-4C71-8642-A8984E1125D9.png
    492.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 899AA8A7-EBC9-451C-9A98-31867BC05643.png
    899AA8A7-EBC9-451C-9A98-31867BC05643.png
    520.3 KB · Views: 30
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The fish is covered in excess mucous, which is caused by something in the water irritating the fish. The most common cause is poor water quality, followed by external protozoan parasites.

Using antibiotics like Metronidazole on a regular basis might have caused a drug resistant infection in the fish's mouth/ throat, or the fish has an infection caused by something that isn't a pathogen that is treated with Metronidazole.

What do you feed the fish?
Research from 2008 shows discus are primarily vegetarian and have lots of intestinal problems when fed meat based diets. See following link if you want more info on that.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The fish is covered in excess mucous, which is caused by something in the water irritating the fish. The most common cause is poor water quality, followed by external protozoan parasites.

Using antibiotics like Metronidazole on a regular basis might have caused a drug resistant infection in the fish's mouth/ throat, or the fish has an infection caused by something that isn't a pathogen that is treated with Metronidazole.

What do you feed the fish?
Research from 2008 shows discus are primarily vegetarian and have lots of intestinal problems when fed meat based diets. See following link if you want more info on that.
Thank you Colin, I appreciate all this info. This is the first I have heard that discus do better with a veggie diet, Iā€™ll have to check that out, thank you. We feed a mixture of dry food in the morning, frozen beef heart and spirulina shrimp for lunch and dinner they get bloodworms and frozen veggie cubes. Beef heart is the favorite.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve tried Metrinidazole yet, I just ordered some from seachem and will see if that is a better treatment than the API brand.

The excess mucus was because I just moved him to the hospital and he stressed out. He is already back to normal, I should have waited to take a picture until he calmed down.

Thank you again for your help!

Can you post a photo of the fish side on? This fish doesn't seem to be the best shaped Discus, some of the more inbred fish come with all sorts of underlying medical conditions, that can be hard to control. It would be nice to see a photo of the whole tank as well, thanks.

Can you post a photo of the fish side on? This fish doesn't seem to be the best shaped Discus, some of the more inbred fish come with all sorts of underlying medical conditions, that can be hard to control. It would be nice to see a photo of the whole tank as well, thanks.
Thanks for responding, Here are some photos to better help diagnose.

Attachments

• 3E4353E4-78C5-418C-B218-E20F0BB72F1D.jpeg
    3E4353E4-78C5-418C-B218-E20F0BB72F1D.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 6818304F-02F0-4903-B00E-BDDCC5EE592D.jpeg
    6818304F-02F0-4903-B00E-BDDCC5EE592D.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 35
Thank you Colin, I appreciate all this info. This is the first I have heard that discus do better with a veggie diet, Iā€™ll have to check that out, thank you. We feed a mixture of dry food in the morning, frozen beef heart and spirulina shrimp for lunch and dinner they get bloodworms and frozen veggie cubes. Beef heart is the favorite.
We only found out about it a few weeks ago and it was purely by accident. I'm still freaked out about it because we have been told to feed discus on meat foods for decades, and then the scientists do a study on wild discus diet because there has never been one done. It blew my mind.

Your fish are probably doing ok because of the planted tank and the plant based food you give them.

The tank looks good too :)

If you can get pictures of the other discus fish mouths, we will have something to compare the orange discus to.

I'm not a big fan of Discus and Angels together, are you sure this guy isn't just getting stressed from all the action in the tank.

Thanks for responding, Here are some photos to better help diagnose.
I'm no help I'm afraid, just wanted to say that your tank is lovely, and that black angel is beautiful! Really stunning, and I really want one now! I won't, but I want a pair!

I'm no help I'm afraid, just wanted to say that your tank is lovely, and that black angel is beautiful! Really stunning, and I really want one now! I won't, but I want a pair!
Black Angels are beautiful, and are good little money spinners. The second was at the National fish Show
IMG_20210828_0001 (2).jpg
IMG_20200929_0003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_0003.jpg
    IMG_20200929_0003.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 16
Right now I'm looking at a 4ft tank and thinking about black angels! They always draw my eye, they really look stunning against a planted tank background.
Black Veiltails like in the first photo are the most beautiful fish in a large tank. That photo was taken as I was shutting down my fish room. In a planted tank they are magnificent

OP, the discus is beautiful, can still see that under the excess slime coat. Haven't heard of a condition like this before, but I trust @Colin_T to steer you right! Hope he makes a recovery soon and it doesn't reoccur.

I'm not a big fan of Discus and Angels together, are you sure this guy isn't just getting stressed from all the action in the tank.
I would agree that Iā€™m likely pushing the limits on the bioload, but I donā€™t think itā€™s an activity issue. The angels get along fine with the discus, in fact the angels breed, we have had several successful batches of angels, I have two of the adult babies in another tank. For the most part the angels stick together and the discus donā€™t bother them. The only time we see stress bars or signs of stress are when the discus are fighting for dominance or territory, this last for a day or two, if it last longer then I move things around and they calm down. Im about to post some other pictures of the other discus and you can see that everyone else in the tank is in good health.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back