Discus Breeds: A Matter Of Preferance?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Talz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd have to say it's been a good few years since I last had my aquarium stocked.

I just turned twenty-one last month, and haven't touched it since I was about seventeen or so. I have to admit, the urge has hit me anew after boredom struck and I decided to read up on some old favorites. After all, I have a perfectly good seventy-seven gallon tank sitting in my basement unused.

Back in the day, it was more of a casual hobby; you know, the standard mix and match community setup. I feel if I was to get back into the hobby I'd need something more stimulating. Throwing a school of neon tetra in with a bunch of plastic plants was cool at the time, but I doubt that would keep my attention for long these days. When I do things, I like to go all out, you know? Some more unique species, a live plant set up, and above all a theme would make things more interesting.

One fish I had always displayed interest in was discus, but the few generic little pet stores around here didn't carry them, in the rare event they did it was a bunch of random ones (probably hybrids) that couldn't even be identified and at a ridiculous price to boot. So if I plan on going all out now, what better theme to choose then an untested old favorite?

Now I come to you guys to ask the simple question: what do I need to know?

I've heard that discus aren't always the easiest fish; demanding very soft, acidic water at temperatures upwards of eighty degrees and a well balanced diet.

If such requirements must be met, is there any variation between breeds or is a discus a discus? Furthermore, there are now so many types a beginner like me can't even begin to place them; what's out there? What things need to be considered when selecting a tank, breed, tank mates etc?

If an experienced discus keeper and/or breeder could point me in the right direction, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I read where Discuslova does 100% water changes everyday with RO water. But that is only for juvies. I'm not much help here, but he/she sure would be.

%100 Water changes daily?

Might help young discus in some strange way, but I suspect that'd kill everything else. :/

Now I come to you guys to ask the simple question: what do I need to know?

I've heard that discus aren't always the easiest fish; demanding very soft, acidic water at temperatures upwards of eighty degrees and a well balanced diet.

If such requirements must be met, is there any variation between breeds or is a discus a discus? Furthermore, there are now so many types a beginner like me can't even begin to place them; what's out there? What things need to be considered when selecting a tank, breed, tank mates etc?

If an experienced discus keeper and/or breeder could point me in the right direction, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There is a lot to learn about Discus, and a lot of misleading facts you have probably read about that need to be cleared up! First off, discus will need to be kept in a minimum group of 5 to spread out agression, and a minimum tank size of 50 gallons (10 gallons per Discus.) You say you want a planted tank? Discus do very well in a planted tank, but unfortunatley they are very hard to clean, and clean water is a necessity for growing out juvy discus (under 4.5"), juvys will do best in daily water changes! Any tank with gravel should be stocked with already full grown adults to avoid stunting, adults are much easier going and can get away with 2-3 feedings a day and a weekly or bi-weekly water change. Discus can at time be pretty demanding (especially as juvys.) No, they do not need R/O, but they will need to be kept in a tank with a temperature between 28-30 degrees. A balanced diet is best, but this is really the same with all fish. The more you can offer the better, just not too much beefheart ;) No, not really any variation between strains. Too many strains to list these days!! I can't even begin to place them either :confused: When selecting tank mates, make sure they can withstand the high temperatures, won't out compete the Discus for food, and aren't too fast and flashy (discus may get spooked by this.) ALWAYS make sure to quarantine new fish and NEVER buy out of a sickly looking tank.

I would really try to aviod those stores you talk about. Sounds like they don't get anything good in. I would probably consider buying a few adults off of a reputable online retailer (feel free to PM for some suggestions) you should get some much higher quality fish, which will make it much easier on you. Set up the tank and add tank mates first, discus need a well established tank unless you are able to perform large daily water changes for the first few months.

%100 Water changes daily?

Might help young discus in some strange way, but I suspect that'd kill everything else. :/

Should be fine with other fish, as long as the water has matching parameters (temp, pH, hardness) and is dechlorinated. No R/O used though, for the most part if you can drink out of it, it is good for a Discus tank :p

Thanks for the fast response.

Are there any particular strains you yourself favor?

About the daily water changes...

Being a collage student I'm increasingly busy and would have a hard time getting that done daily. Is that really totally necessary as opposed to the once every week or so 25-50% water change/substrate clean out we're always told to do, or will it honestly hurt them?

Why would gravel stunt growth as opposed to other substrate?

For such a finicky fish I planed to order anyway, if I can find some top-notch breeders. If you could send me the info you spoke of, that would be greatly appreciated.

In regards to tank mates, would you mind telling me what you have kept them with in the past?

Thanks for the fast response.

Are there any particular strains you yourself favor?

About the daily water changes...

Being a collage student I'm increasingly busy and would have a hard time getting that done daily. Is that really totally necessary as opposed to the once every week or so 25-50% water change/substrate clean out we're always told to do, or will it honestly hurt them?

Why would gravel stunt growth as opposed to other substrate?

For such a finicky fish I planed to order anyway, if I can find some top-notch breeders. If you could send me the info you spoke of, that would be greatly appreciated.

In regards to tank mates, would you mind telling me what you have kept them with in the past?

I really like Wayne Ng's Blue Knights. None in my tank at the moment but it's on wish list. IMO most common strains these days are albinos, gold and platinum strains and WB's, and fish that look similar to these strains (there are quite a few.) In general strains that really "shine." It is all up to personal preference though, there is so much to choose from!

Like I said, you should be able to get away with a large weekly water change with adults, if you could do a large water change twice weekly this would be more ideal. You do it with young fish and you will stunt them pretty easily, it will definitley hurt them. When we talk no gravel we mean a bare bottom tank, nothin' but glass. Much easier to clean, and waste that builds up can be seen for easy cleaning, nothing can slip and hide in the rocks :sly:

I see you are in Canada too, let me PM you in a second.

I don't keep my Discus with anything else at the moment, but in the past I have kept them with Angelfish, rummynose tetras, german blue rams and even a honey gourami which did great! Other common tank mates off the top of my head are bristlenose plecos, sterbai (sp?) cories and cardinal tetras (sometimes get eaten.)

It's been a long time, so please forgive the noob question: what is it in the water and/or substrate that stunts them?

It's been a long time, so please forgive the noob question: what is it in the water and/or substrate that stunts them?

Part of it is that Discus just need clean water in order to grow properly. They get lots of clean water in the wild during the rainy season when they are young, but lakes and rivers are always being fed clean water. It is also partly because of the heavy feeding you need to do when they are young. You power feed them when they are young, I do 5 feedings a day, but some people do up to 8 or 10!! All the food will foul the water and increase your phosphates and nitrates.

I should also add discus secreate a slime into the water. All fish do but for some reason more so Discus. I have heard anything from it stunting them to a harbour for bacteria and fungus. How true any of this is, I am not sure. You can see it collect on the glass, so I make sure to wipe all my glass down, because one thing is true, it can make your glass/tank look gross and cloudy when you are looking in on it.

Not a noob question at all
Hormones given off by other fish..A build up of these results in slower growth and stunting.Adults release lots of these hormones...Nitrate is also sometimes thought to stunt, but there is no real proof of this.
Bottom line is, fresher water=fastest and healthiest growth.

I assume tank size would also play a role then, since smaller tanks are more likely to dirty faster.

I assume tank size would also play a role then, since smaller tanks are more likely to dirty faster.
Definitely.
The greater water volume the easier fish are to care for. :good:

Can't reply to your PM. For some reason the forum shuts you out of PMs for a little if you send a certain amount. :S not sure why though :angry:

the one picture you sent me looks like a leopard based fish. Similar to one of mine which was sold to me as a spotted faced red diamond (a leopard based strain), the fish in the 3 picture. The fish in the first and second picture are checkerboard pigeons adult and juvy.

<a href="http://img140.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1010192k.jpg" target="_blank">http://img140.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1010192k.jpg</a>

Thanks again.

In my research I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with how much man has tampered with this species, I must admit. There's so many strains it's near impossible to identify anything with any certainty. Almost seems like guppies all over again. :p

What about the natural strains, or already well established ones?

Most reactions

Back