Discus breeding tank; Blackwater vs bare

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So right now I have 6 discus in 53 gal blackwater tank, I wanted to breed discus as I have a pair that lays eggs every months (and eat em), should I change to bare bottom?
(Note that bare bottom tank have sticker on the bottom to prevent discus stressing)

@Lajos_Detari @Colin_T

There's no need to put them in a bare bottom tank. Most people I know that have bred discus have done it in a planted tank with gravel on the bottom.

If the discus pair is young, they will usually eat the eggs 2 or 3 times. Then they look after the eggs but eat the babies when they hatch. A few more batches and they normally stop eating the babies and start to look after them.

There's no need to put them in a bare bottom tank. Most people I know that have bred discus have done it in a planted tank with gravel on the bottom.

If the discus pair is young, they will usually eat the eggs 2 or 3 times. Then they look after the eggs but eat the babies when they hatch. A few more batches and they normally stop eating the babies and start to look after them.
Is there any recommended filter for 53 gal?
Is sponge filter viable?

You can use any filter ranging from an external canister filter to internal power filters or even air operated sponge filters. However, if you use air operated sponge filters you will need a couple of them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back