Discus Aquarium Disaster

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mark4785

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Exactly 1 week ago I bought 2 juvenile discus from my LFS to add to a 300 litre aquarium that already contains 5 medium/large discus from another supplier.

Gradually over the course of the last week each of the 5 medium/large discus have developed these symptoms:

- Tail fin rot
- Opaqueness
- Have gone completely black
- One has pop-eye
- One has a cloudy eye
- Three have a spider web-like structure on them
- They are all hanging near the heater and occasionally rub against objects (every 2-3 hours).

The 2 new discus are completely healthy and eating and show none of the above symptoms. I also have some tetras that are completely fine.

The 5 poorly discus are not responding to Myxazin antibacterial treatment. I have now added API Aquarium Salt and upped the temperature to 34 degrees C. Before doing this I did test my water and the ammonia was 0 ppm, nitrite was 0ppm and nitrate was 10 ppm.

Could I be dealing with the Discus viral plague as all of the problems started when I added the 2 new juveniles? I have also never seen a fish go downhill and not respond to a Myxazin treatment.

Tank has had no health issues for the past 4 years until now.

I can't answer your question but i know that folks who have hans discus (for example); won't mix them with asian discus because of concerns they carry pathogens for which they have immunity that hans discus lack. I can't say if this information is accurate but i have read it multiple places. The symptons you describe are not related to nitrate or similar; it is a disease of some sort and it is very likely related to the 2 new juveniles (btw you should always qt new fishes esp when dealing with an expensive delicate species like discus; but that is in the past). There are some dedicated discus forum and given how quickly the disease move I would seek one of them out for quick advice as to how to proceed.

I can't answer your question but i know that folks who have hans discus (for example); won't mix them with asian discus because of concerns they carry pathogens for which they have immunity that hans discus lack. I can't say if this information is accurate but i have read it multiple places. The symptons you describe are not related to nitrate or similar; it is a disease of some sort and it is very likely related to the 2 new juveniles (btw you should always qt new fishes esp when dealing with an expensive delicate species like discus; but that is in the past). There are some dedicated discus forum and given how quickly the disease move I would seek one of them out for quick advice as to how to proceed.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find a reliable source.

An expert in Discus has confirmed that the 5 have Discus plague. He's recommend Chloramine-T treatment. I will be removing the Myxazin and replacing it with Chloramine-T. From the sound of his voice I don't think he holds much hope that any of the 5 will survive this.

Good luck- let us know how it turns out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back