Discoloured Fish. What Is Happening?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

firsttimefry

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My dwarf gouramis is dying, our african dwarf frogs and one platy have already died (over the last two months).  Something is going through our tank and has me stumped. Now we have a ton of fry and I dont want them sick. Sorry this will be a long post but hopefully the info will help someone tell me how to best proceed. 

We have a 30 gallon tank, I do pH and ammonia readings at home (7.2 and 0 respectively) and get nitrite and nitrate checked periodically at the pet store (as of three days ago both were perfect). Temp is 25 Celcius. We have 1 dwarf gouramis, 2 adult platy, 3 one month platy fry, 36 two week old fry, 3 neon tetra and 2 Danio.  I know tetras and Danios should be in bigger groups.  Our pet store agreed to take our fry (if healthy at 1 inch) and trade for other fish (our goal is 4 more Danios, and three more tetra). Our tank has both live plants and plastic.

I will start with the gourami.  He has been sick for almost 2 months. Started with a red mark on his jaw.  I thought it was an injury and started watching my tank more closely for the culprit, at which point I noticed that both my platy males (normally orange and black) were looking pale and had some white areas.  A friend advised treating for Ich (which after more research was the wrong course of action).  I discontinued the medication after a single dose but left the temperature a little higher as our tank had always been on the cooler side (a bad move I think).  The gouramis head and back turned from white to grey (doesn't look fuzzy or grainy, just dirty) but he otherwise exhibited no behavioural changes and was always right there for the food.  I did more research, talked to our pet store and noticed tiny pin prick holes in his fins.  I began treating with ***** for columnaris. I completed the full 5 day course of the meds and saw no improvement.   I added in aquarium salt as per the dose on the box to try and reduce the chance of spread. I have been doing 25% water changes every 5 days.  I have never seen any of the fish rubbing on anything. This morning (day 8 of the second course of the meds) the gourami was resting on an angle at the bottom of the tank with laboured breathing.  I moved him into our 2 galon hospital tank with a plastic plant.  He is currently using it as a resting point to keep himself near the surface because he struggles to swim to the top of the tank. His stomach seems very bloated.  I realized I haven't seen him poop in a very long time, so gave him a tiny bit of mushed peas which he ate instantly.  I don't think I can save this fish but I hope to stop the spread of whatever is wrong with him.  I feel bad because this fish has really fought to stay alive and I have been useless or detrimental to helping him.

Our older platies are also sick.  They have been hiding a lot and possibly exhibiting some lethargy, hard to tell because my friend added an aggressive male guppy to the tank and he was harassing the platies non stop.  Within two days of the guppys arrival one platy was dead (really white gills and mouth, slightly bloated).  Non of the other fish look "dirty" or grey, but our one platy male still looks very pale around the mouth and gills, and has lost some scales (I think from guppy head bumps).  The guppy has since been quarenteened back at the pet store and I am noticing more activity from the platies but still discoloration.  Non of the fish look skinny or show decreased interest in food.  They poop stringy white now.

The frog that died developed tumors or lumps all over his chest and stomache and gave up eating.  He was quarenteened when the lumps appeared and died a couple weeks later
wacko.png

There are also three 1 month old platy fry as well who seem healthy other than white poop. Three neon tetra, and two pink Danio (the plan is to trade the healthy platy fry back in exchange for more Danios).  One of the Danio has a curved spine which he came with. 

To further add perspective, in May while I was away vising family there was an accident with the fish tank where a whole container of frog food was dumped in the tank. My well intention friends who were watching the tank, added a bottom feeding fish to help with the clean up but he was dead before I got back.  (The guppy was added at the same time). They also added the live plants which I am still learnig how to care for.

Anyone have a guess at whats got my tank?  We have a back up 20 gallon tank could be used to help treat fish if necessary. 

Update.  The gourami died this morning and I noticed that our female platy is infact rubbing on media and has some small goldy brown areas on her back.

Stingy white faeces is usually a sign of an internal parasite, you would need to treat them with an appropriate medication for that, one that is safe for the fry - sometimes depending on the medication its half dose with fry present. As for the gold/brown marks is there any chance you could get a photograph? When you get the internal parasite medication, get some antibacterial medication too and use that after the parasite medication to help with any bacterial problems left by the parasites.

I have been searching the internet for possible explanations. This is what I am debating.  I bolded the symptoms that seemed to fit what my fish exhibit:

VELVET - scratching, small gold to white spots, loss of color (but its really a change in colour in specific areas), weight loss, difficulty breathing.  Treat by OTC meds for parasites. (This from the Platies)
CHILODONELLA- blueish-white film on body, strained breathing, peeling skin.  Treat with salt. (Maybe on the orange platy and the gouramis it was blueish on the white platy it is clearly more goldy brown)
FISH TB - inactivity, loss of colour or appetite, weight loss, skin defects
COLUMNARIS- Greyish-white film on skin, damaged fins, ulcers, yellow to grey patchs on gills (maybe), tissue on head may be eaten away (OTC antibiotics, disinfect)

Thoughts for a treatment plan?  Again we have a 30 gal main tank, a cycled but previously infected 20 gal tank and a 2 gal tank with heater but no filter. 

This sounds like the disaster that went through my tank. I advise to separate all the fish(I understand you my not have enough aquariums, so big bowls will do FOR NOW), do a 100% water change, get the medication for the fish, treat them. After they have been treated, if they show any signs of wellness, id continue the treatment and pamper them like crazy. Once they seem 100%  well, move them into the main tank, slowly but surely you may get most of your tank back. Good luck on you medical journey. If you get anything out of this, Please. Please. PLEASE quarantine your fish away from each other!  Dont treat a flu patient with a chicken pox patient! I really hope you have luck with this mess! 

I am afraid I do not know medications for canada :(. I would treat for velvet then first being parasitic the other symptoms could have been caused by velvet. Once that treatment has been done you want an antibacterial medication - (with antibiotic if possible)

Most reactions

trending

Back