Discolouration And Unexplained Death

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LittleEmma16

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone would be able to maybe give me any ideas or advice... one of my female guppies had gone a really dark silver/grey colour across the whole of her back as she didnt look right so i put her in my fish trap as i didnt know if she was due to be giving birth as she was pregnant aswel and i was literally out about 4 hours and by the time i got home she was unfortunately dead :/

i have 3 plattys, 2 female n 1 male
1 male guppy and did have 2 females now 1
siamese fighter
2 hongkong placs

if anyone has any ideas as to what may have caused her death as she has been completely fine, i did a water change the day before she died and she was okay then and all the rest of my fish are fine so what the hell happened?

All fish have diverse personalities and feelings, so I would assume that your guppy was just a little more sensitive then the others, and the water change could have come as a shock to her, and she passed away. It seems to be the most logical answer, considering that discoloration is usually a sign of stress and/or discomfort. I don't think any infection or virus could have spread that fast, nor does it seem to be affecting any of the other fish. I think she probably just went into shock. If you see similar things starting to happen to your other fish though, get your water tested at your nearest pet store. (Most do it for free) This will tell you if something like the nitrates, alkalinity or acidity is wrong in the water. They might also be able to tell you if there is a pathogen in the water. Just keep an eye on your other fish. Also, if you notice one is representing these behaviors, I would quarantine it in a separate tank to ensure that any possible virus or bacteria doesn't spread. But honest to goodness, I think it was just shock, just trying to be safe. Good luck!

i didnt know if maybe she was trying to give birth and couldnt? would that have killed her?

when i did my water change i actually put the fish into a couple of fish traps so that it wasnt quite so bad as this was the first water change since ive had them. i did have my water tested about 3 weeks ago, i did take her to the petshop where i got her from and they said if it happens again to bring a sample up and their test it for me

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back