Disaster...

Cian McLiam

Ye Olde Irish Tank Guy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello to folks who remember me and also to those who dont!

Just popping in to say that after 4 years of bliss and smooth sailing in my main Discus tank I woke yesterday to find every fish in the tank dead :( A faulty heater had stuck on 'on' and you could feel the heat coming from the tank from a few inches away. The night before all had been perfect.Its a bit upsetting after all the years of cleaning, feeding, scrubbing and hoovering for the little guys that something so out of your hands and unpredictable can destroy it all in a few hours. I have no idea how hot the tank actually got, it was way off the temp gauge.

Please check your heater regularly and perhaps relace it every few years to prevent this happening to you.

I've bought a new heater but at the moment I'm still unsure about what I will do next with this tank, its all a bit disheartening. No doubt in a day or two I'll be back down the LFS looking at something new to try, maybe a Stingray or something unusual. The high temp may have destroyed the bacteria in the filter so it could be a slow process of recovery.

Anyway, hope things are going better in your tanks!

Ken

awww man that must be absolutely gutting, i feel for you!

:-(

rip poor discus

Aw, that stinks that does, poor fishes and poor u :(

I hav read lots of post where the heaters go faulty and there really isnt any way of noticing. They should come with a warning light or something that tells people they are not working properly.

I use a digital thermometer that alarms at high and low temperatures, but I doubt it would wake me up at night. Maybe there is a market for an audible alarm.

Thanks guys, along with the Discus we lost a large Panaque L191, a L134, some apistogramma species and a sprinkling of cardinal tetras. Luckily we still have some apistogramma in the smaller breeder tank so may have some new fish looking for a larger home soon enough.

I am so sorry for your loss. i have a 30g with two 15g heaters that where given to me in september they are about 4 years old but never been used so I dont have to worry about that! And besides, I check my thermomiter twice a day.

That's awful, what a nightmare! One of those things which you can do very little to prevent, as well.

Terrible news, so sorry for your losses.

Why is it this seems to occur at night? Happened to me a few months ago - came down to find one of the tanks over 32 degrees instead of the usual 26!

Thanks for all the thoughts and words, hope it makes some people less trustful of the bits and pieces in their own tanks!

Its something that can happen to anyone at any time, just a few days ago the fuse blew in the heater that heats my fishroom and all the tanks dropped down to about 4c, i lost a few of the more heat sensative fish and had a worrying few days waiting to see if others would recover, you can be the best fish keeper in the world but nothing can prevent equipment failure.

Terrible news, mate. Really bad news here. My heater is new, but I'll be keeping an eye on it anyway. I guess a heater is something we all take for granted to work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back