Disaster Evacuation

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm quite aware that my fish will get left behind if the apartment I'm staying in catches on fire since moments like those all you can think of is getting out and surviving and nothing else, but IF I have time (the apartment that caught on fire was actually in the far end of the building and we're at the other end right next to the stairs) to save them I would like to know how and that's it. I just need to take them out of the building since there is a store nearby said that they can temporarily house them and if for some reason they can't then my sister knows someone who can take them for the time being. Having my fish boil or fry to death isn't something I would like to put them through if I actually have time to save them but if I can't then, like I said, I'm aware that they will have to go like that

If it were me, I'd leave the fish. I once allocated an hour to catching 12 small fish in a 130l tank, it took nearly 3 hours. You potentially wouldn't be aware of the buildup of toxic air conditions until it was too late.

Sad as it sounds. You'd also potentially lose everything else you owned so in the big picture it's not worth the worry.

Ive though about this before and it is possible, depending on tank size, fish size, and extremes you are willing to tolerate. The solution to this problem is relatively simple on paper. Cut one or two holes in the bottom of the tank big enough for a 2 inch pvc pipe, connect a funnel to the pvc pipe (on the inside of the tank) then float your gravle like you would when laying cement around a drain (form a parabola or bowl shape around your funnel opening). Now connect a quick release valve to the pvc coming out of the bottom of the tank, then connect that to a fire resistant insulated fish tank under your main tank. I would build the fire resistant tank by making a 1/2 thick steel box with no lid of desired size , then insulating the box with a few layers of fire resistant drywall or sheet rock, then i would use some fiberglass insultaion for added heat protection, the last step would be to fit an emergency fish tank inside, make a removable lid with a hole to fit your pvc pipes out of the previously stated materials and then your done. Now the theory is, that in a fire emergency you can quicky pull the quick release valve on the tank and since the substrate is concaved toward the drain all the fish will be sucked into your fire resistant emergency tank. Ive been debating if i want to test this out on one of my 50 gallons or not, but it should in theory work

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back