Disappearing neon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lgreenmk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, I had six neons and now I have five. I can't find the other one anywhere. The only other fish in the tank is a betta. It is a hooded tank, I don't know what could have happened to him/her. No carcasses in the filter, nothing. I did a water change and moved the plant and cave. No sign anywhere. What could have happened?

I've had the betta about four weeks. I've never seen him act agressive toward the neons, and his mouth isn't that big. I don't get it.

I had gone from twice a day feedings to just feeding them at night and I thought that all was fine. Should I start feeding them twice a day again? All of the fish have seemed fine (although greedy) with the change.

Well its probably your betta. I, however, can keep a betta with 6 guppies AND fish fry. My betta NEVER bothers my guppies. Such a good boy. However, u should take it out, just in case it is the culprit (which it probably is). And can someone answer this question: how could a betta eat a guppy with such a tiny mouth? fish fry, maybe, but a full-grown guppy? I've always thought on this.

Bettas have a small, but very strong and capable mouth - they are quite able to kill other small fish. Some are very placid by nature, others are mean little devils. If small fish are disappearing, and there is no other suspicious reason, and the betta is looking aloof and in a "don't know what you're talking about" kind of pose - then the finger may well be pointing!

ok L.L

Kill. I get it. Eat? How? Does the betta tear it apart? And I heard a betas stomach is the same size as its eyeball. How does a guppy fit into that? and i have a 10g tank with 1 good betta and 6 guppies and i want cories. any suggestions?

There are five other Neons in the tank - they could have polished it off.

If it really has not jumped out, has not gone into the filter, has not died and lodged somewhere inaccessible, and we discount alien abduction - eaten is one of the more probable causes of it's vanishing act.

how big was the neon?

my female bettas managed to make 2 of my month old mollie fry "dissapear" :crazy:

they must of been just a little bit smaller than a small neon...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back