Disappearing Goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

~heidi~

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a fully cycled 55 gallon, planted, goldfish tank with 2 goldfish (a common and a shubunkin) and 2 apple snails. I have had the fish since Feb. of this year. Yesterday I woke up and one of my goldfish was gone! I have looked everywhere in the tank and he is just gone. No trace of him anywhere. :( My water quality is great and I do a 20% water change weekly along with smaller water change about 2 times a week.
I have called the LFS and he said that it is possible my fish 'jumped' out of the tank. I don't see him anywhere around the tank but I do have a big dog who could have eaten him..
I have one other fish in there right now. A common Goldlfish and he has been hiding since my Shubunkin disappeared. I see him in there and he is coming out for food but then he immediately goes back into hiding. Do you think this is a sign he is sick? Or could he just be lonely? Is it possible he is scared being that he is the only fish in there?
I am very upset about losing my Shubunkin. I just wish I knew what happened.. I want to get another fish, as I can't stand my common being alone in there, but I want to make sure that he is OK b4 I expose another fish to him...
Thank you so much for any and all help. I really appreciate it..
~heidi~

With goldfish, you definitely need a cover on the tank. They love to jump. I lost one that jumped from my pond in the back yard about 2 weeks ago. I foound him that afternoon, dried out on the ground. Actually, you need the cover with any fish as all of them will jump from time to time. Hiding is usually a sign of stress so it is quite likely the lone fish is experiencing some type stress. If your water stats are where they should be with no ammonia or nitrite, then Im not certain what the issue could be. As far as adding another fish, you probably run a higher risk of introducing a sick fish form the LFS as you do if your fish being sick. So unless you quarantine the new fish first, i don't think it would matter much if you added it now. Just keep a check on your water parameters after you add it though as you could see a mini cycle.

Goldfish are social, so it may well be stressed by suddenly being alone. Is he/she looking OK in itself other than been scitish? Could you post numbers for your water stats please.

Assuming the other fish looks ok, and ammonia nd nitrite are sitting on zero, I'd go ahead and add another goldie :good: What are your tap water readings from the tap?

All the best
Rabbut

thanx guys!
I got a new Shubunkin the other day and now my Common Goldie has come out of hiding and seems happy again! I also got a special plastic cover to make it so my tank is completely covered. Don't want this to ever happen again. Can't believe how sad I am about losing a $2 fish!

Thanx again for all the replies! It is so nice to see my goldie happy again!

sorry about your loss.

My mum fed her tropical fish and left the lid ajar. I visisted and noticed a rainbow fish down. Went to do a water change and found a crispy rainbow fish. It had jumped out and wedged itself behind the light bulb which sort of cooked him.

Martyn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back