Disappearing fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tillysmum

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum and not sure where to post this . I have a 46L tank and in it i have a neon tetra , a Clown Loach who lives in a house and a balloon Molly . The Molly had about 15 fry . They are getting quite big now but Iā€™m down to only 4 left! Iā€™m not sure what is happening to them . Mum chases them around a lot especially at feeding time but Iā€™m sure they are too big to be eaten by her . Do you think the loach is getting them ? I really want these 4 to survive . As I didnā€™t realise the Molly I brought was pregnant i couldnā€™t separate them . They were a surprise ! Any advice appreciated!
Tillysmum

It's a race - all the fish you have can eat them.

I hope you know how big clown loaches get and what they need!.

It's a race - all the fish you have can eat them.

I hope you know how big clown loaches get and what they need!.
Thanks for replying. At the time I brought my loach I told the man in the Aquatic shop how big my tank was . He said it was fine and I should have 2 together! I purchased 2 ! One of which died after about a year . I have since asked the aquatics place if they can have the one that I have still got back as he is getting big and will be too big for my tank size . Iā€™ve just got to catch him and take him !
Going back to the babies they are about 7 wks now and quite big so I thought less chance now for them to
be eaten but they seem to disappear over night !
Tillysmum

In a tank that size, they are more likely to be eaten.

When you catch the clown loach (if only there were small ones too) be aware they have a razor sharp spine they can pop out, sort of around the eye. It can cut you.

In a tank that size, they are more likely to be eaten.

When you catch the clown loach (if only there were small ones too) be aware they have a razor sharp spine they can pop out, sort of around the eye. It can cut you.
Oh gosh thanks for the warning , I had no idea ! He is quite big aswell !
Iā€™m hoping to grab the house that he lives in while he is in it and tip
him out into the bag ! He is not going to be very happy about it !

Do you have a picture of your tank you could put up to see what it looks like and if the fry are maybe disappearing because they donā€™t have enough hiding spots.

Hello. The tank is too small. The fry have no where to hide, so they're basically lunch. You could try feeding a little more and more often. I've found that well fed adult fish show little interest in the fry. Of course you'll need to increase the amount of water you change to remove any uneaten food. You don't want extra dissolved food to foul the tank water. More surface plants and a much larger tank would be better.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Not good at this but hope you can see it ! If you scroll in you can see the size of the babies ! The house at the bottom is where the loach lives !

Attachments

• 5AA5278F-3F7C-4CE2-A05C-FA0C1BEB9403.jpeg
    5AA5278F-3F7C-4CE2-A05C-FA0C1BEB9403.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for replying. At the time I brought my loach I told the man in the Aquatic shop how big my tank was . He said it was fine and I should have 2 together! I purchased 2 ! One of which died after about a year . I have since asked the aquatics place if they can have the one that I have still got back as he is getting big and will be too big for my tank size . Iā€™ve just got to catch him and take him !
Going back to the babies they are about 7 wks now and quite big so I thought less chance now for them to
be eaten but they seem to disappear over night !
Tillysmum
Unfortunately you learned the same lesson that a lot of us have learned: you can't trust the advice of fish store employees.

Well, this tank is not as wide as it should be for a clown loach. Not all loaches but clown loaches for sure do like the taste of fry. Clown loaches also grow pretty fast and won't stop growing when put in a smaller environment. They just keep on growing.
The thing that happens at stores is that those fish that have the potential to grow up large will be offered at a cute small size. Too adorable to let them go...

Well, this tank is not as wide as it should be for a clown loach. Not all loaches but clown loaches for sure do like the taste of fry. Clown loaches also grow pretty fast and won't stop growing when put in a smaller environment. They just keep on growing.
The thing that happens at stores is that those fish that have the potential to grow up large will be offered at a cute small size. Too adorable to let them go...
That is bad ! You would think they would care about where the fish go and make sure they go to the right size home ! The person who sold me my loaches are definitely in the wrong job ! I now have to part with him and I have got very attached ! Iā€™m very sad about it and feel sorry that he wonā€™t have his little house to retreat into when he goes to his new home !
Partly my fault as well though . I should of done my research before buying one . I just asked which fish were good for eating algae and keeping the snail population down and even after telling him the tank size etc he sold me 2 !

That is bad ! You would think they would care about where the fish go and make sure they go to the right size home ! The person who sold me my loaches are definitely in the wrong job ! I now have to part with him and I have got very attached ! Iā€™m very sad about it and feel sorry that he wonā€™t have his little house to retreat into when he goes to his new home !
Partly my fault as well though . I should of done my research before buying one . I just asked which fish were good for eating algae and keeping the snail population down and even after telling him the tank size etc he sold me 2 !
There are two options what the person who sold you those fish concerns: That person had a lack of knowledge or that person just went for the sale. But he/she was right that clown loaches are good snail eaters. But so do other loach species. And some of them remain small but they don't have the bright colors as a clown loach has. But of course I don't know how many types of loaches they had at the store to choose from.

It's a good choice of you to do some research first before buying a fish. But hey... we all went through a learning curve...

There are two options what the person who sold you those fish concerns: That person had a lack of knowledge or that person just went for the sale. But he/she was right that clown loaches are good snail eaters. But so do other loach species. And some of them remain small but they don't have the bright colors as a clown loach has. But of course I don't know how many types of loaches they had at the store to choose from.

It's a good choice of you to do some research first before buying a fish. But hey... we all went through a learning curve...
Both are unacceptable. When someone is responsible for seeing to the care of living animals, they should have at least enough knowledge to make sure the basics, like adequate tank size, are covered. Intentionally selling an animal knowing that it won't be in living conditions that meet its needs is inhumane.
I question why so many fish stores sell common plecos. Knowing how big they get, very few fish keepers have a 300 gallon tank or pond. And yet I see them in fish stores all the time.

Both are unacceptable. When someone is responsible for seeing to the care of living animals, they should have at least enough knowledge to make sure the basics, like adequate tank size, are covered. Intentionally selling an animal knowing that it won't be in living conditions that meet its needs is inhumane.
I question why so many fish stores sell common plecos. Knowing how big they get, very few fish keepers have a 300 gallon tank or pond. And yet I see them in fish stores all the time.
We do agree with that. But again, most of such fish are offered at a cute small size. Which seems more attractive to get those customers buy such fish. There are stores that are serious and will give you the correct advice. But again, there are also many stores that will go for the sales specifically. To such stores, if you're not satisfied about the purchased fish , just buy a different fish instead. Maybe, they're willing to take that other fish back but probably for free.
I don't know how it is in the States when it comes to fish stores but in our country they must have a certificate that will prove their expertise. And this goes for every kind of animal that is commercially sold at a store. But despite of the presence of such a certificate, I still notice of a lot of incompetence.

Hi I am new to this forum and not sure where to post this . I have a 46L tank and in it i have a neon tetra , a Clown Loach who lives in a house and a balloon Molly . The Molly had about 15 fry . They are getting quite big now but Iā€™m down to only 4 left! Iā€™m not sure what is happening to them . Mum chases them around a lot especially at feeding time but Iā€™m sure they are too big to be eaten by her . Do you think the loach is getting them ? I really want these 4 to survive . As I didnā€™t realise the Molly I brought was pregnant i couldnā€™t separate them . They were a surprise ! Any advice appreciated!
Tillysmum
I would suggest putting the remaining 4 in a breeding net! Until they have a substancial size! And as I understand your molly might still have eggs from previous ā€œmating sessionā€™s ā€œ šŸ˜‚ and if you are lucky she might give birth again! At least for my platies I have experienced pregnancy after pregnancy! Good luck šŸ˜Š

Most reactions

trending

Back