Dirty Fish Tank Need Help With Cleaning Ideas.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dcj38

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well as some of you know I got a 90 gallon last weekend and, it is really scummy, and dirty. Is there anything that I can clean it with that the fish will not be sensitive to? I was thinking of cleaning it with bleach, as fish wont be in there until end of January. If you have a different idea or product please list it.

Simply take a razor blade (not one of those shaving razor blades) and scrap it off. If that doesn't work pour diluted bleach on it and try to scrap it off again.

HEY!

Diluted bleach should work out but dont reccomend the blade thing too much. A bit of warning sometimes the glass of the tank might get scratched up and look a little ugly. But try hot water with a tootbrush or hair brush.

For really scummy, filthy, came from the bottom of the sea looking tanks, one thing always works; Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. It's concentrated acid, wear gloves, goggles, & long sleeves. Rinse a lot, then rinse some more, and be careful around silicone seams when using. If you do get it on your skin, rinse a lot, then rinse some more.

Tolak

I would try using some hot salted water and a sponge to try and remove the scum first, if you have limescale though, using a spoon to scrape it off will be more effective.

Hi dcj38 :)

If it's caked on hard water marks that are a problem, you can remove them by pouring on white vinegar and letting it sit for a while. The vinegar will dissolve the deposits and you can rub them with a plastic scrubber to get them off. If it's an especially thick deposit, you might have to repeat the process a few times. :D

Hi,

I'd use a combination of salt and white vinegar with a hard sponge. Let it soak for a while and it should come up like new.

Emma

Hi dcj38 :)

If it's caked on hard water marks that are a problem, you can remove them by pouring on white vinegar and letting it sit for a while. The vinegar will dissolve the deposits and you can rub them with a plastic scrubber to get them off. If it's an especially thick deposit, you might have to repeat the process a few times. :D

I agree with you i just had to do that to my 4ft fishtank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back