"dinosaur Bichir" Questions

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
like every petsmart near my apartment sells these things. And they're kinda cool. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything labeled "dinosaur" bichir outside of petsmart, and they're pretty notorious for failing to give realistic tank sizes and max sizes for fish. (like how tin foil barbs around here, 30 gallon tank. Oscar, 30 gallon tank. bichir, wait for it, 30 gallon tank.)

anyways, I'm not looking to put one in a 30 gallon tank. Moreso a 75 gallon standard tank. But I can't find any info on these guys anywhere. I know bichirs in general are big, predatory, and can be pretty pro jumpers. The tank has a glass lid tight as can be, so that'll cover that part.

Now for my concerns:

Biggest concern, is if my 75 gallon is even big enough (foot print is 4 foot by 18 inches)

Second biggest concern, How big do fish have to be to avoid the jaws of these things?

Third biggest concern, what is a proper diet for one of these?

Other smaller concerns, how long do they live to be? what kinds of tank mates might you suggest for one? would other somewhat large catfish (raphaels and featherfins in particular) be safe with one?

That about covers it, thanks much

we've got a couple of bichir experts as members here, so hopefully they will be along to help out soon.

However, if you are doubting the labelling at the pet store, it would be really great to get a pic of the fish that are being sold and let the pros here identify it. From my limited knowledge there is a fair amount of adult size difference across the species and they will obviously be key with tank size & suitability.

we've got a couple of bichir experts as members here, so hopefully they will be along to help out soon.

However, if you are doubting the labelling at the pet store, it would be really great to get a pic of the fish that are being sold and let the pros here identify it. From my limited knowledge there is a fair amount of adult size difference across the species and they will obviously be key with tank size & suitability.
Alright. I'll get a picture of it after work and stick it on here for some identification.

for a general description, it's just. well.. Kind of a light tan color. Not much else about it :huh:

[quote name=%26%2339%3Bonidrase%26%2339%3B timestamp='1329236827' post='3255108']
like every petsmart near my apartment sells these things. And they're kinda cool. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything labeled "dinosaur" bichir outside of petsmart, and they're pretty notorious for failing to give realistic tank sizes and max sizes for fish. (like how tin foil barbs around here, 30 gallon tank. Oscar, 30 gallon tank. bichir, wait for it, 30 gallon tank.)

anyways, I'm not looking to put one in a 30 gallon tank. Moreso a 75 gallon standard tank. But I can't find any info on these guys anywhere. I know bichirs in general are big, predatory, and can be pretty pro jumpers. The tank has a glass lid tight as can be, so that'll cover that part.

Now for my concerns:

Biggest concern, is if my 75 gallon is even big enough (foot print is 4 foot by 18 inches)

Second biggest concern, How big do fish have to be to avoid the jaws of these things?

Other smaller concerns, how long do they live to be? what kinds of tank mates might you suggest for one? would other somewhat large catfish (raphaels and featherfins in particular) be safe with one?

[/quote]

The dinosaur bichir is another name for a senegal bichir.
75 Gallons is plenty for one, they grow to around 12 inches long but more likely around 8-9 inches.
Fish like danios or tetras should be avoided with these fish because they will become dinner.
Unlike other bichirs they are open swimmers so need a fair amount of swimming space.
Plecos are generally bad tank mates as they like to suck the slime coat of these fish but its never happened to me.
They are active in the day and will happily come out and eat, they should be fed carnivore pellets, bloodworm, shrimp, prawn, krill etc..

[quote name=%26%2339%3Bonidrase%26%2339%3B timestamp='1329236827' post='3255108']

Now for my concerns:

Plecos are generally bad tank mates as they like to suck the slime coat of these fish but its never happened to me.

[/quote]
woah, really..? Ill be putting a bristlenose pleco in the tank as well. Forgot to mention. plecos always just kinda blend in with the tank for me.

Would a BN plec really be aggressive toward slime coating, though? I've always thought that to be more of a sucking loach thing.

Well most plecos are supposedly very notorious for it but I think you may get away with it as I have.
I have a gibbicep and a common with mine and it never happens, every now and again the common will chase him off but that's it.
Keep an eye out though, the first time I added my bichir my plec took a dislike.

Well most plecos are supposedly very notorious for it but I think you may get away with it as I have.
I have a gibbicep and a common with mine and it never happens, every now and again the common will chase him off but that's it.
Keep an eye out though, the first time I added my bichir my plec took a dislike.
My plec is still a tiny little guy. As well as my featherfin syno and raphael catfish. Would all these guys be safe/not be a nuisance to the bichir? I'm planning on adding another raphael or two.

Can you also review this stock, straying off topic?

1 firemouth
1 Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, or Oscar (the oscar is pushing it, but I kinda want to rescue one from my local petsmart which I've caught trying to sell them to people with 20 gallon's.)
?? odessa barbs, or turquoise rainbows (don't know how many would fit)
2-3 raphaels
1 featherfin
1 BN plec
1 bichir

Might be a tad much, or might have room for more, I don't know. Not getting much assistance :huh:

Well most plecos are supposedly very notorious for it.

I'm not familiar with plecos having a taste for slime coat. Do you have any specific species that you've read this about?

Would a BN plec really be aggressive toward slime coating, though? I've always thought that to be more of a sucking loach thing.

I've never read anything stating a BN actively seeks out other fish for their slime coat. Too slow and clumsy swimmers for a start.

My plec is still a tiny little guy. As well as my featherfin syno and raphael catfish. Would all these guys be safe/not be a nuisance to the bichir? I'm planning on adding another raphael or two.

Can you also review this stock, straying off topic?

1 firemouth
1 Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, or Oscar (the oscar is pushing it, but I kinda want to rescue one from my local petsmart which I've caught trying to sell them to people with 20 gallon's.)
?? odessa barbs, or turquoise rainbows (don't know how many would fit)
2-3 raphaels
1 featherfin
1 BN plec
1 bichir

Might be a tad much, or might have room for more, I don't know. Not getting much assistance :huh:

A school of 8-10 should be ok. The Oscar concerns me though. They grow super fast and will eat your school. Plus they are super messy.

The plecos don't do it to other fish, just bichirs for some reason.
I really can't remember where I read it but I know its true because it just happen, had to move the plec over to another tank.
Bristlenoses may be slow but senegals are not the fastest species in the book either.

I keep Bichirs and have kept a senegal in the past, If it is a senegal they are one of the smaller ones

Bichirs are bottom dwelling and will be static a lot of the time, I always think they are one of the more predatory oddballs we have when you see them in your tank you will see that they are predators

as for plecs Ive never seen a plec suck a bichir, I did however have that with reedfish I kept a few years back but it didnt cause a proble,

Bichirs are easy to eat they eat mostly anything that comes there way mine know when foods coming in and they shoot over and take the pellets and anything else I put in

My senegal is constantly swimming in open water all day, I know their predators, I kept a senegal with zebra danios before (near when I fist started fish keeping) and day by day they were disappearing.

Is there any reason why a bichir would be more susceptible to getting slime coat sucked than say, the raphael catfish, which is so dormant it's surprising it knows how to eat and breath? Are their slime coats particularly tastey? Do they taste like cotton candy? Maybe smell like chocolate?

I have 2 senegal bichirs in with 3 varied BN plecos a jack dempsy and 2 blood parrots. They ar in a 75g as well 1 of the bichirs is from petsmart the other is an albino I got from a small local store.

I have not had any slime coat issues. The bigger of my bichirs actualy harasses the big male pleco by laying on him when he is out in the open.

I cannot say anything for experience with oscars but my jack dempsy tends to stay out of my bichirs way i have seen the bicir nip at the dempsy when he bushes againts him and the dempsy immediately hauls #14###. The parrots are the same way they stay outta the bicirs way.

If you ever wanna see how effective a predator a bichir is drop 2 dozen feeders in a tank with a couple bichirs before bed. Then try to find a feeder in the morning. Trust me you will look a long time.
My albino bichir was baught as a baby and needed to grow out before being put in with the big boys so we put him in with my wifes live bearers. (guppys mollies and platys in multiple pairs) In one month the bichir was like 4 inches long and there were 0 baby live bearers to be found in around 2-3 days. I thaught he would be good popoulatin control and instead he decimated the tank we removed him when he started going for full size guppys and mollies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back