different tetra schooling?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

noop

Fishaholic
Reaction score
in my planned tank i reckon i've got about 12 fish inches to spare for tetra. i've just gotta have neons, but i'd like maybe head n tail light ones too. would these two kinds be happy schooling together, say if i had 4 or 5 of each?

Could happen...but I think you'd be better off going all neons, if that's what u want.
(I have 4 H&TL's and 4 others...not schooling.)

that's cool. i assumed the h&tl tetra weren't happy unless schooling. so i could get like 8 neons and a few h&tls. thanks B)

I've been told h&tl's do best in grp's of 10. :/ If u want to add others, perhaps the black phantom...they do ok in pairs.

about 12 fish inches to spare
That would be 6-8 tetras...

why not get half and half of neon tetras and black neon tetras. that'd look good and i think they'd all school together. :)

in general, i think that most tetras will school with other types, so long as they're similar sizes. :unsure:

my glowlights just don't bother with the whole school thang!! :lol:

my black neon will not school with my neon tetras but it could be because he's twice as big

I also have head and tail lights, and they stay by themselves, they do not school together at all, crazy fish. I also have black skirt tetras, they school with my tiger barbs, i think it is because they are all about the same size.
Funny to watch. LOL
Sandy

I don't think you will find the different species of tetras schooling together. I have both neons and black neons and they stick to their own kind...except at feeding time when it's bascially a free for all.

I have 10 neons and 6 black neons.....if i had it to do over I would get 20 of one or the other.

I find that too many different species together are not as good looking as more of only a couple of species. That's just my opinion. Get lots of one species, the tank will look better and the fish will be happier!

WK

FanOFish said:
I don't think you will find the different species of tetras schooling together. I have both neons and black neons and they stick to their own kind...except at feeding time when it's bascially a free for all.

I have 10 neons and 6 black neons.....if i had it to do over I would get 20 of one or the other.
Phantom tetras will school with Bleeding Heart tetras.

I'm going to throw in what seems to always be the answer to me . . . buy another tank, or make one if you shop around you can set up a 10 gallon tank for about 30 bucks.

Opcn :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Back