Different Cory's In 1 Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was wondering if you could have more that 1 type of Cory's in 1 tank. An example being would I be able to have panda and Pygmy Cory's in my tank if I wanted to and if I had the space which I don't. Was just wondering from Tom

Yes you can have more than one type If you have the space, in groups of 5/6 of each species.

Would the 2 groups interact with each other. So if I had 6 panda Cory's and 6 Pygmy Cory's instead of 12 panda Cory's would the 2 groups interact with each other or would they stay as 2 separate shoals from Tom

Remember that shoaling is a defence mechanism, so both types of cory would be all over the tank anyway when they felt happy. If they felt the need to go into a shoal, they would do it as separate groups.

No, pygmys tend to occupy the middle of the tank.
You're not thinking of changing your stock yet again are you, you made such a song & dance about rescuing those pandas & now you want to get rid?
You will never have a settled tank if every other week you change your stock

No I'm not thinking of changing my tank. I was thinking of getting a new tank with just Cory's in as I love them so much.

Imho you are better off with one single species. Reason beeing, they can form a larger schoal which is much more natural for the fish and also nicer to watch. Furthermore there are more possibilities of intraspecies interactions and you might see more natural behaviour. Or you could take a second species which uses different parts of the tank like the pygmys.

Agree, if your tank floor is large enough you can have more than one group, but one larger group of a single species is best for social interaction.
I have 8 bronze and 5 peppers in a 4 footer. While they interact, if spooked it's two seperate groups.
While I have toyed with a cory only tank idea,(gotta love the corys), I would suggest one of the smaller schoolers for the upper levels, just to give the tank mpre life. But that's just an opinion.

A Cory only tank? it would be interesting...

my opinion would be, get one species that you like and bulk them in numbers.. then a second choice species but with a smaller number..

i have seen one video on hasborous and salt/pepper cories once.. they look beautiful together!

All the.best! :)

I'd go for a huge herd of one kind. Have 8 tanks with Corys. Only one with 3 species (Leucomelas, Venezuela-fry and Pygmaeus).
They don't really interact and all have different behaviour. It might be needed to get the venezuelas out when they grow. The other ones don't like such busy / bossy bulldozers. But at this moment it's great and the others get less skittish cause of the more brave Venezuelas.
Another tank contains Bronze and Albino. In fact the same species (aeneus), with the same (social) behaviour and will even interbreed.
That's also an possibility. The Aeneus group contains 14 species to my believe (including Venezuelas) 

I shouldn't keep habrosus and peppers together. Peppers really are big bulldozers and are coolwater corys.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back