Different after heater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

BettaKitty

Reaction score
Thankful for this online community! Bought my betta three months ago and everything has been great! His tank is finally cycledā€¦heā€™s been healthy and happyā€¦even got him a ghost shrimp roomie.

Itā€™s been getting chilly so decided to get a heater. Temperature was always 75-78 in his tankā€¦lately itā€™s dropped to 72-74 overnight. Today, used the heater and itā€™s now at 81. Took several hours to get to this temperature (about three)ā€¦but suddenly Betta is acting strange.
21284B2F-5036-4788-872F-CF48368F42C4.jpeg

Heā€™s just sitting at top of tank with fins clamped. Not his usually happy swimming self. Is this bad? Maybe itā€™s too hot? Please help thank you.

Attachments

• E5CB4399-1FCF-417D-AE5C-44AB79654D66.jpeg
    E5CB4399-1FCF-417D-AE5C-44AB79654D66.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 40
I donā€™t know much about Betta fish and Iā€™m sure someone will come with a reason to whatā€™s going on but 72-74 sounds better than 81 maybe it just prefers the cooler water

It could be from the sudden change in temperature or a water quality issue.

Test the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for one week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added tot he tank.

Monitor the fish's poop, make sure it is eating, and if it gets worse post more pictures and water test results.

I think they like 75-80 f.

Hindsight is always so useful, but perhaps going up one degree a day might have been better - perhaps heā€™s worried you are trying to poach him..? šŸ˜‚

I think they like 75-80 f.

Hindsight is always so useful, but perhaps going up one degree a day might have been better - perhaps heā€™s worried you are trying to poach him..? šŸ˜‚
Lolā€¦heā€™s probably likeā€¦is she making fish soup? Hopefully heā€™ll snap out of itā€¦I actually couldnā€™t do the temperature change that slowly (1 degree a day).

I have a heater that doesnā€™t allow me to adjust itā€¦it just heats to keep the tank between 78-81.

There was a thread recently where a lady cooked her husband arrowana (?) because he wasnā€™t keeping the tank as clean as he promised he wouldā€¦šŸ˜¬

Lolā€¦heā€™s probably likeā€¦is she making fish soup? Hopefully heā€™ll snap out of itā€¦I actually couldnā€™t do the temperature change that slowly (1 degree a day).

I have a heater that doesnā€™t allow me to adjust itā€¦it just heats to keep the tank between 78-81.
I really believe that, if you can afford it, a decent adjustable heater should be a must...and put the one you've got into storage, for emergencies.

Welcome to TFF.

What size tank?

78-80F for bettas

Ok hereā€™s a new observation Iā€™ve made. So found a new heater thatā€™s less watts and seems to be keeping his tank at 78 thank goodness.

But hereā€™s the dealā€¦I noticed his personality changes (goes from being happy and swimming) to just sitting and chilling at top of tank almost like heā€™s nappingā€¦but only while the heater is plugged in.

Iā€™m almost scared is the heater doing something (releasing fumesā€¦sound wavesā€¦electricityā€¦) something bad into the water?

Also, shrimp was dead today :( I think the heat from other heater did him in (as he had just molted) :(

Iā€™m almost scared is the heater doing something (releasing fumesā€¦sound wavesā€¦electricityā€¦) something bad into the water?
Normal aquarium heaters are made from glass with a rubber or plastic top. They don't give off toxic substances..

Shrimp sometimes have problems when molting and die during or straight after.

Make sure the water quality is good and the fish should be fine.

Ok hereā€™s a new observation Iā€™ve made. So found a new heater thatā€™s less watts and seems to be keeping his tank at 78 thank goodness.

But hereā€™s the dealā€¦I noticed his personality changes (goes from being happy and swimming) to just sitting and chilling at top of tank almost like heā€™s nappingā€¦but only while the heater is plugged in.

Also, shrimp was dead today :( I think the heat from other heater did him in (as he had just molted) :(
What @Colin_T said.
Plus, the Betta may well have killed the shrimp.
They can do that. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back