Difference between blue paradise fish and red paradise fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ianvaldius

Reaction score
My LFS has some paradise fish marketed as "blue paradise fish" and "red paradise fish" but I can't find anything substantial about any differences online. Is there a difference? I currently have a male paradise fish and was considering getting two females as I've heard that ratio works, but I don't know if red and blue paradise fish will coexist peacefully in a 55 or 75 gallon tank (if there is a difference). Additionally, I don't know if my paradise fish would be considered "red" or "blue". Also, females are less territorial, correct? My current paradise fish doesn't seem particularly territorial, so I figure he'd be good with other non-male tankmates. Sorry I just kinda word vomited there at the end lol.

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 148
My friend google said.....
There are three species of paradise fish that are commonly kept in the aquarium. They look very similar and are distinguished by the shapes of their tails. Macropodus opercularis has a forked tail, Macropodus chinensis has a rounded tail, and Macropodus cupanus has a pointed tail with several rays extending from its middle. All three species are banded with stripes of vivid color, which varies according to the angle of the light falling upon it, and is intensified during courtship. These bands are blue or green alternating with orange or red. There are also numerous small dots of black or metallic blue scattered over the body of the fish. In all three, the ventral fins are orange

There are two genetically engineered varieties. There is an albino variety, called the albino macropodus, which was engineered by a commercial breeder in Germany in 1933. It has pink eyes and creamy white, pink, and blue stripes, and there is a darker variety called the “concolor” variety.

I think what you are seeing at LFS are just different color varieties , but from what I read above, love at the difference in the shape of the tail

The species of "paradise fish" is Macropodus opercularis. There are a number of selectively-bred ornamental strains including xanthic, albino, red, blue, and stripeless forms. Behaviours should be much the same as these are all the one species.

EDIT. As I was typing, LarsB posted. As noted therein, there are other species in this genus, but the more common fish in the hobby are more likely to be the varieties of the original species.

The species of "paradise fish" is Macropodus opercularis. There are a number of selectively-bred ornamental strains including xanthic, albino, red, blue, and stripeless forms. Behaviours should be much the same as these are all the one species.

EDIT. As I was typing, LarsB posted. As noted therein, there are other species in this genus, but the more common fish in the hobby are more likely to be the varieties of the original species.
Thank you both. I will attempt to get a look at the tail shape to be sure when I go in. Is it a good idea to get two females for the male, or would he/the tank be happier alone? All I know is that from what I've read, if it were to be done this would be the preferred ratio.

Thank you both. I will attempt to get a look at the tail shape to be sure when I go in. Is it a good idea to get two females for the male, or would he/the tank be happier alone? All I know is that from what I've read, if it were to be done this would be the preferred ratio.

Correct. Males are territorially aggressive, this behaviour becoming more pronounced during reproductive periods, and they should not be housed together unless the aquarium is very large. It is also advisable to provide two or more females per male in order to disperse male attention. [This from SF] I've no idea of other tankmates, or the tank size, you may want to check SF further.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back