Didiplis Diandra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zig

z is z
Reaction score
I Just thought i would post this because its unusual and some of you may be interested.

I have been looking for this plant for ages, Didiplis diandra, and eventually i found some the other day in my excellent lfs where i buy all my plants, they stock all Tropica brand plants and usually have a very good selection in great condition if you get down there within a few days of a delivery.

Anyway whats unusual about the plant is the method of propagation used by Tropica, they grow it in glass pots!

This can be a difficult plant for some people and is described by Tropica as such, the plant requires soft water and ample amounts of light but when you get it right it can be beautiful, with all shades of pink and red.

The problem with the plant is when its shaded in the aquarium, the lower stems can blacken quite easily and the plant can die off, and i figure this is why its grown in glass pots initially to avoid this happening. They also use a special grow media which is like a circular wafer and quite spongy, its a bit like a miniture birdnest if you can imagine that, water can pass through it very easily which the roots obviously need during propagation

Anyway of all the Tropica plants that i have seen this is the only one they grow like this, the rest are propagated in the normal manner in the wool type media in regular pots.

Anybody any experience with this plant, and how did you buy yours, was it something similar?

Didiplisdiandra4.jpg

The pot is auctually quite shallow at about 1 1/4 in height, the wafer type media that it grows in is also very thin

Didiplisdiandra2.jpg

The underneath of the pot has a large circular opening for water circulation

Didiplisdiandra3.jpg

Didiplisdiandra1.jpg

And just whilst im posting pics, i may as well post this, i bought this as well, Downoi or Pogostemon helferi, much in demand in the hobby in America as a foreground plant, each stem usually goes for about $10 over there, I'd say there is at least 10 in the pot that i bought!

Pogostemonhelferi.jpg

Thats it, hope you found it sort of interesting.............

Gorgeous new plants ! :thumbs: Nope, never seen glass pots. Interesting.....

Look forward to see them in your tank - looks like a smashing camera you have there ;)

Like the plants Zig, both look like they would make a great little additions to any tank. Cant say I have seen them before though.

Like the look of your HC in the background of the last pic, one day mine will be as green as yours!

Sam

EDIT - the last one almost looks like a fern of some kind?

Nice pics Zig, some real healthy looking plants. The glass pot thing is interesting.

People are going crazy for Downoi over here, although I think the craze has started to die down a little. HC was all the rage for a while too. I'm still waiting for people to catch on to E. triandra, i'm surprised people haven't caught that bug already because it's such a nice alternative to the round leaved foreground plants such as Glosso and HC. Anyway...

Fascinating mate. Thanks for sharing.

Your diandra should do fine in your soft water I'm sure.

The Downoi looks lovely, never heard of it until now.

I look forward to some full tank shots.

Yeah the Didiplis should be interesting although it will probably grow green in my tank, if i drop my nitrates low bga starts to show up really fast, so thats not really an option in order to colour it up, but we will see i guess thats the challange.

The Downoi was on my wishlist for a long time as well, its the first time i have seen it on sale over here, this particular shop probably will not stock it again for months so thats why i bought it, gotta grab things while they are available, its a foreground plant, its height is determined by the intensity of the light, it will grow between 2-10cm depending on the light, you can grow a whole carpet of them, in my shot it looks a little like a fern but thats just lots of them grown in a pot together, individually they look like spikey terrestrial rosettte plants or a slightly open umberella if you can imagine that.

Now just got to find somewhere to put them, i forgot to mention the Rotala rotundifolia i got as well, although i think i will ditch the Stellata and hopefully get the rotala to colour up as well.

Will post some full tank shots soon.......thanks guys for indulging my nerdiness and looking at my weeds :D

I wouldn't call them weeds! Thanks for letting us know, I want some Downoi now!

Sam

Thanks for letting us know, I want some Downoi now!

Me too!

Zig, enjoy your rotala, I love that plant and it gets pink with minimal effort, so it'll be a lovely addition to your tank. I have never seen the glass pot either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back