Did My Pump Kill My Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisjd

Reaction score
Hello

After this discussion I purchased this pump. As you can see it's a pretty simple pump that sucks water in from one side and pushes it out forwards. Since having the pump I have once found an assassin snail stuck in the intake. But when I turned the pump off and took the snail out it was actually fine - this was two weeks ago. This morning I awoke to find one of my neon tetras dead in the intake of the pump.

I deliberately bought the lowest power pump I could find and I assumed that any pump I bought would not kill the inhabitants of my aquarium, but this seems to be exactly what is happening.

However the tetra that was killed was never the healthiest, he was missing the tip of his tail when we brought him which looked to me more like it had been nipped than from disease - although this is just from comparing to pictures on the internet and in books. It disn't seem to bother him or affect his swimming though. I currently have the pump back in the tank but on the lowest setting and wrapped in a pair of tights so nothing can get sucked right in.

So is it possible for a 300 ltr/hour pump to kill a health tetra, or was he probably sick anyway? If he was sick, should I be looking out for signs of illness on the other tetra? They all seem fine except for the tips of some of their fins are white but it doesn't look severe enough to be fin rot.

I have a 95 litre planted tank, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5.

A healthy fish will not be sucked into a normal aquarium pump. Snails will crawl into them on their own even to the point of stalling the pump usually without damage to the snail.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back