Did I sex my dwarf gourami correctly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been trying to get my gourami to breed for about a week now. I followed all instructions I saw online: Keep male separate until female gourami claims the territory and knows hiding spots, Put floating objects in the surface of the water, keep temps at around 80 degrees F or a little higher, minimal to no water movement, sponge filter, and lowering the water level.

However, despite my best efforts, the male refuses to make any advances on the female. He wont make a bubble nest, or even chase her around. They both seem content to just hang out in the water and mind their own business.

I have included 2 pictures of the gourami; am I wrong that this is a male (pointed fin) and a female (rounded fin)? Thats the only explanation I can think of at this point, that maybe I sexed my fish wrong?

Attachments

• D3010691-5267-479A-BDD3-079308EDBF97.jpeg
    D3010691-5267-479A-BDD3-079308EDBF97.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 0CE5C31B-E285-4097-862B-1C20B4EEF198.jpeg
    0CE5C31B-E285-4097-862B-1C20B4EEF198.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 66
as there's no nest
a sponge filter will create popping bubbles and cause the water to ripple...
you can drill a petri dish right down the middle to put the tubing through
and drill a few holes in it for the air to escape make sure when the filter is in there the petri dish is a few hairs over the water surface so it doesnt create ripples

The blue ones are thr only ones in which males / females both have colors and are difficult to sex by finnage. I think you have two males there. That won't explain why the certain male (left one) is not building a bubble nest. Maybe it simply it.isn't mature enough or has to adapt first.

That is the beautiful thing about nature : Not everything happens when and how we like things to happen.

as there's no nest
a sponge filter will create popping bubbles and cause the water to ripple...
you can drill a petri dish right down the middle to put the tubing through
and drill a few holes in it for the air to escape make sure when the filter is in there the petri dish is a few hairs over the water surface so it doesnt create ripples
Thanks, I will try this

The blue ones are thr only ones in which males / females both have colors and are difficult to sex by finnage. I think you have two males there. That won't explain why the certain male (left one) is not building a bubble nest. Maybe it simply it.isn't mature enough or has to adapt first.

That is the beautiful thing about nature : Not everything happens when and how we like things to happen.
It’s true, things don’t always happen the way I want, but I’d still like the best chance of getting some baby gourami 😅

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back