Did I plant everything right?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I just started my first ever planted tank. Itā€™s a 30gal, I got everything including tank, filter, LED hood, 100w heater and gravel on the side of the road for free.

The only things I have bought so far are the fish which I owned previously in another established tank, and the sand. I say all this to emphasize that Iā€™m on a bit of a budget šŸ˜….

Here are the plants currently. I planted the java ferns and the alernanthera deep in the substrate so they wouldnt float away, and the dwarf hairgrass I planted patches of 6-10 blades about a half inch to an inch apart everywhere in the substrate. Does everything look okay, and do you have any other tips for ensuring my plants stay healthy? I will buy fertilizer if i need to but Iā€™d prefer not to spend a whole lot of money. I heard that dwarf hairgrass prefers really good substrate so hopefully my fluval is enough.

EDIT: Also I went around and trimmed every patch of dwarf hairgrass that was 2 inches or higher, is this too aggressive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 45
The Java ferns will die if the rhizomes are under the substrate. It's best to super glue or tie them off to something like rocks or wood

The Java ferns will die if the rhizomes are under the substrate. It's best to super glue or tie them off to something like rocks or wood
Oh my goodness I didnā€™t know that, thank you. I will move them ASAP.

Being on a budget and doing things on the cheap is the best way to really learn and find things out about this hobby. We are dealing with simple plants , for the most part , and generally hardy small fish. Anybody can buy their way to a nice tank .
Itā€™s true, I wouldnā€™t be where I am with my humble aquarium knowledge if I wasnā€™t constantly googling if things are safe for my fish šŸ˜…

Itā€™s true, I wouldnā€™t be where I am with my humble aquarium knowledge if I wasnā€™t constantly googling if things are safe for my fish šŸ˜…
Started out the same way šŸ¤£

Forget Google, you have TFF now....;)

But... you can't get to this site without it šŸ¤£

(Unless you have another searching tool)
I meant as far as researching fishkeeping, lol....once you join here, no need to search anywhere else ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back