Dib - Dib - Dib - be prepared.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

imw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
As per the title,

Would it be a good idea to have medication on hand to treat ICH or Velvet (I DO NOT HAVE THESE ISSUES), I am just doing my "boy scout bit"

If yes what would I purchase - ICH-X for ICH - Velvet ?

Thanks in advance

EDIT

Last edited:
No need.
Just use this

I would not recommend it. Medications lose/gain strength over time and if not used within it's "best buy" date, you could harm your fish.

Additionally, I would recommend evaluating what the cause of the disease is. For example, Ich is present in every aquarium. Literally all of them. Fish are typically only effected by it because they have a compromised immune system (stress, poor nutrition, poor water quality, overcrowding etc.).

I think it'd be a better investment to discern what tank factors (unless the disease is being introduced by currently sick fish you have purchased) are causing the diseases prevalence enough that you are considering having it "on hand".

Just my two cents.

Hi,

As stated I DO NOT HAVE THESE ISSUES.

The sticky states "All external protozoan infections can be treated with any white spot remedy, or with salt and or heat."

So back to the question ? @Colin_T

As per the title,

Would it be a good idea to have medication on hand to treat ICH or Velvet (I DO HAVE THESE ISSUES), I am just doing my "boy scout bit"

If yes what would I purchase - ICH-X for ICH - Velvet ?

Thanks in advance
I just have aquarium salt in my 'medicine' cabinet.
If I got ich or velvet, I'd treat the tank using heat and cutting down the light. Only if that didn't work would I look at a medicine.

By the way, Mr. 'Boy' Scout, (showing your age with the 'Boy' prefix ;), it's dyb dyb dyb...as in Do Your Best...followed by dob dob dob...as in Do Our Best! :p

I just have aquarium salt in my 'medicine' cabinet.
If I got ich or velvet, I'd treat the tank using heat and cutting down the light. Only if that didn't work would I look at a medicine.

By the way, Mr. 'Boy' Scout, (showing your age with the 'Boy' prefix ;), it's dyb dyb dyb...as in Do Your Best...followed by dob dob dob...as in Do Our Best! :p
Sorry Bruce @Bruce Leyland-Jones - it has been a while ;) - should know better as a former "sixer"

Thank you for you reply.

you do or
you do not?

I DO NOT have THSES ISSUES.

(I DO HAVE THESE ISSUES),

If you have ich (post pics for confirmation), clean the glass and substrate, clean the filter and do a large water change then increase the heat to 30c/86f and leave it there for 2 weeks. Increase aeriation.

you do or
you do not?

If you have ich (post pics for confirmation), clean the glass and substrate, clean the filter and do a large water change then increase the heat to 30c/86f and leave it there for 2 weeks. Increase aeriation.
Sorry @Naughts DO NOT.

Great.
Just read the sticky a few times and that will help you if you get fish illnesses.
As stated by @kribensis12 , there is no need to buy medication 'in case' and actually medications are often unnecessary as other treatments are effective and cause less stress. It is a good idea to have aquarium salt and an adjustable heater as well as a means to increase oxygenation.

Just read the sticky a few times and that will help you if you get fish illnesses.
As stated by @kribensis12 , there is no need to buy medication 'in case' and actually medications are often unnecessary as other treatments are effective and cause less stress. It is a good idea to have aquarium salt and an adjustable heater as well as a means to increase oxygenation.

Thank you - appreciated.

ATB

All that's in my cupboard...
What-Salt-Bae-Meme.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back