DIATOMS

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi

The brown stuff is everywhere! I've been googling a lot and would like some clarification from someone knowledgeable before I start planning my rescape. I'd like to get this under control before adding new plants especially.

I think my filter needs upgrading as it is just the one that came with the tank. A 125 litre with a Fluval U3.

Would upgrading to the U4 help? (I am terrified of external filters as I've had an leak in the past and I now live on a top floor flat and cannot risk it happening again, so please, don't suggest one, I know they are better but not for my mental health lol) I believe the U4 does 1200Lph?

I have the aquasky lighting set on plant mode.

Please ask if you need any more tank info! Desperate to sort it out.

Can you post photos of this "brown algae?" I have seen this term used for what is not diatoms but black brush algae, and it is best to sort this out. Also, if the "brown algae" easily rubs off using your fingertips, it is more likely diatoms; black brush algae will not easily come off if it is still alive, though if it is dead it easily comes off surfaces like plant leaves.

On the filter, the light/nutrients balance is the cause of problem algae and the only way to safely deal with it is by establishing/reestablishing the balance. The flow from the filter has nothing to do with algae; it is true that stronger flow such as at the filter return may encourage black brush algae, but this is minimal. As for the U3/U4, I like these filters, or at least the type. I have the similar type, Fluval Quiet Flow, in two tanks. No mention i made of the fish species in this tank, but some might be better with more flow, others fine with what you have, others with an even smaller filter.

No mention made of the fish species in this tank,
OP has pleco and honey gourami, not sure what else.
More tank details (photo) would definitely be of use.

Wow a lot to read. Have added some pics and stock is, 6 peppered cory 4 honey gourami and one green phantom.

Attachments

• IMG_20211018_132923.jpg
    IMG_20211018_132923.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20211018_132856.jpg
    IMG_20211018_132856.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 58
What kind of sand did you use?

Diatoms need silica to grow. This is why they are so common in new tanks where silica levels are often elevated. Some sand will cause diatoms to hang around for a long time before the silica levels drop to a level were they cant grow as fast.

Water changes will help with this as it removes silica, That is assuming your tap water isn't silica heavy.

The normal "reduce nutrients, shorter photoperiod" etc will help because it is still an algae but in my experience If there is excess Silicates there will be diatoms no matter what is going on with the rest of your nutrients and lighting.

More plants will help, no matter what algae it is the more plants you have growing, especially faster growers, the harder time algae has to grow.

Other then that its mostly a case of remove what you can by hand (just run it off before doing water changes) and wait it out. Diatoms will almost always burn themselves out eventually. Depending on where they are puling the silicates from though it can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to several months.

What kind of sand did you use?

Diatoms need silica to grow. This is why they are so common in new tanks where silica levels are often elevated. Some sand will cause diatoms to hang around for a long time before the silica levels drop to a level were they cant grow as fast.

Water changes will help with this as it removes silica, That is assuming your tap water isn't silica heavy.

The normal "reduce nutrients, shorter photoperiod" etc will help because it is still an algae but in my experience If there is excess Silicates there will be diatoms no matter what is going on with the rest of your nutrients and lighting.

More plants will help, no matter what algae it is the more plants you have growing, especially faster growers, the harder time algae has to grow.

Other then that its mostly a case of remove what you can by hand (just run it off before doing water changes) and wait it out. Diatoms will almost always burn themselves out eventually. Depending on where they are puling the silicates from though it can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to several months.
Thank you so much. I have cleaned everything last night and tank is looking gorgeous this morning, so many leaves were so healthy underneath it all, some not so much but I've just cut them off. I have kept lighting low for now.

Sand was the BD trading sand by Barlow aquatics? I have been recommended it by so many people and it wasn't very cheap so I'm hoping it's good stuff 😂 all my plants are slow growers so I will try and get a few fast ones. I plan to heavily plant it but the conditions of the plants atm put me off but if it will help I'll definitely go grab some this weekend!

I have seen stuff I can put in the filter for silicates and phosphates? Are these a con / would they be bad for the existing plants?

Thank you so much. I have cleaned everything last night and tank is looking gorgeous this morning, so many leaves were so healthy underneath it all, some not so much but I've just cut them off. I have kept lighting low for now.

Sand was the BD trading sand by Barlow aquatics? I have been recommended it by so many people and it wasn't very cheap so I'm hoping it's good stuff 😂 all my plants are slow growers so I will try and get a few fast ones. I plan to heavily plant it but the conditions of the plants atm put me off but if it will help I'll definitely go grab some this weekend!

I have seen stuff I can put in the filter for silicates and phosphates? Are these a con / would they be bad for the existing plants?

Barlow sand was recommended on CorydorasWorld, and it has nothing whatever to do with cyanobacteria, so you're OK.

Forget fussing over silicates and phosphors, this is just making things way too complicated. Balance the light with complete nutrients and plants will thrive.

BTW, organics occur from fish being fed obviously, and regular substantial water changes including keeping the organics out of the filter and (depending) the substrate will help.

Just thought id update this in case anyone is asking the same questions one day!

Did the big water change, about 60% Also purchased a couple of fast growing plants and rubbed off all the remaining diatoms before doing the water changes. Reduced feeding, still need to buy some floating plants BUT everything is going well. It's been about 8 days now and I can barely see any ugly brown stuff so fingers crossed that's over and done with 😂 have seen my fish pecking at the remains.. Maybe they aren't happy about the reduced feeding lol

Thanks for everyone's help!

Just thought id update this in case anyone is asking the same questions one day!

Did the big water change, about 60% Also purchased a couple of fast growing plants and rubbed off all the remaining diatoms before doing the water changes. Reduced feeding, still need to buy some floating plants BUT everything is going well. It's been about 8 days now and I can barely see any ugly brown stuff so fingers crossed that's over and done with 😂 have seen my fish pecking at the remains.. Maybe they aren't happy about the reduced feeding lol

Thanks for everyone's help!
Good to hear and your reduced feeding regime will be a habit worth keeping.
Do you know what plants you got in the end?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back