DIATOMS

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

embsidney20

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

The brown stuff is everywhere! I've been googling a lot and would like some clarification from someone knowledgeable before I start planning my rescape. I'd like to get this under control before adding new plants especially.

I think my filter needs upgrading as it is just the one that came with the tank. A 125 litre with a Fluval U3.

Would upgrading to the U4 help? (I am terrified of external filters as I've had an leak in the past and I now live on a top floor flat and cannot risk it happening again, so please, don't suggest one, I know they are better but not for my mental health lol) I believe the U4 does 1200Lph?

I have the aquasky lighting set on plant mode.

Please ask if you need any more tank info! Desperate to sort it out.

The best ways to keep away diotoms is to add live plants and not to overfeed.
With the live plants, they will out compete the algae for nutrients. Diatoms are most common in newly set up aquariums, and usually subside after a few weeks.
* Based mostly off of my own experiences with it.

I have 7 plants in the already but they are absolutely coated in diatoms and starting to look like they are dying underneath it. Had lots of leaf loss too. Tank has been established for about 4 months.

I could definitely do with feeding less! There is never green algae in my tank, could this also be why? Worry that my pleco hasn't got enough to eat.

I would rub the diatoms off of the plants, glass, and decorations. Do a large water change to get as much out as possible.

If the pleco really was hungry, he would be eating the diatoms. Most of mine love the stuff. If you are worried about him not getting enough food, drop his food in the tank after lights out, since they are naturally nocturnal. Mine get their bottom feeder or veggie tabs only every other day and are pretty fat and happy.

Diatoms are just another form of algae and the same rules apply for controlling them;
  • Stop overfeeding them with nutrients
  • Reduce the duration/intensity of light
  • Plant lots of live plants and get some floating plants
Nothing to do with the filter. Just keep that serviced as you normally should.

I would rub the diatoms off of the plants, glass, and decorations. Do a large water change to get as much out as possible.

If the pleco really was hungry, he would be eating the diatoms. Most of mine love the stuff. If you are worried about him not getting enough food, drop his food in the tank after lights out, since they are naturally nocturnal. Mine get their bottom feeder or veggie tabs only every other day and are pretty fat and happy.
Thank you so much. Weekly change due today so I'll make it a big one and get it off everything. I have some filter floss so I imagine that will be gentle enough for the leaves?

I have a green phantom and it's usually so shy of the cories feeding frenzy 😂 but I did see it swoop in and scatter them all away last night so I know now it is capable of being brave if it's hungry lol its quite slim so perhaps I just have a male and I'm just being paranoid about it!

Diatoms are just another form of algae and the same rules apply for controlling them;
  • Stop overfeeding them with nutrients
  • Reduce the duration/intensity of light
  • Plant lots of live plants and get some floating plants
Nothing to do with the filter. Just keep that serviced as you normally should.
Thanks! Floating plants on order too!

Should I be lowering the white light or all of them?

Re the filter, I've always been told that the filters that come with the tanks are the absolute minimum and would be better off buying the next size up? The only thing that has put me off doing that so far is because I have honey gourami and I don't want them in a whirlpool 😂

Thank you so much. Weekly change due today so I'll make it a big one and get it off everything. I have some filter floss so I imagine that will be gentle enough for the leaves?

I have a green phantom and it's usually so shy of the cories feeding frenzy 😂 but I did see it swoop in and scatter them all away last night so I know now it is capable of being brave if it's hungry lol its quite slim so perhaps I just have a male and I'm just being paranoid about it!
To remove diatoms I just use my hands, but filter floss should work too.
My green phantom is actually a pretty agressive eater, I purposely picked out the most outgoing one I could find (the shop had 5 or 6 in at the time). I have mine in with some eartheaters, a rainbow cichlid, a blood parrot and striped headstanders.

White light contains all of the different colours.
If you have separate blue and red, lose those for the time being.

Re the filter, I've always been told that the filters that come with the tanks are the absolute minimum and would be better off buying the next size up?
Filters supplied with all-in-one set-ups are adequate for the tank they come with.
There's definitely a huge amount of snobbery around, regarding these and many fishkeepers are also talking from their own experiences, when they've just had to upgrade. ;)
(Smaller tanks are often inadequate, meaning that upgrades are often inevitable...MTS is just around the corner).

Thanks! Floating plants on order too!

Re the filter, I've always been told that the filters that come with the tanks are the absolute minimum and would be better off buying the next size up? The only thing that has put me off doing that so far is because I have honey gourami and I don't want them in a whirlpool 😂
Try white first as it is usually too bright and the red blue and green are needed for plant growth.
I don't believe that more powerful filters are better. As long as you have water circulation around the tank and a ripple at the surface it sufficient. Rinse the sponge/ media in old tank water every week and clean the filter housing every 1-2 months.
See @AbbeysDad 's publication:

Try white first as it is usually too bright and the red blue and green are needed for plant growth.
I don't believe that more powerful filters are better. As long as you have water circulation around the tank and a ripple at the surface it sufficient. Rinse the sponge/ media in old tank water every week and clean the filter housing every 1-2 months.
See @AbbeysDad 's publication:
I've found from experimentation that white usually contains enough blue and red (and green) for higher plant growth.
Just blue and red is an algae dream, as often discovered by those playing with 'moonlight' settings. For example, leaving a blue, or red, light on all night will result in an algal bloom. Leaving the white on all night won't. ;)

No suggestions to leave only a coloured light on, just recommended lowering the intensity of the white light which are IME often too bright. Without the light specifIcations we are just generalizing. I would never recommend leaving a light on at night, it is unnatural and messes up the fishes biorhythms.

Glad we cleared that up. I have no experience with leaving a light on all night.;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back