Diameter of a Tiger Moray Eel

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Overload Reptiles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve had my Tiger Moray Eel for several months now and heā€™s fed with tongs. He eats thawed shrimp. I was just curious about their diameter. I know they can get about 3ft long but what about their diameter? Does anyone know? Hereā€™s some pictures of him as well. His name is Lemmy.

Attachments

• DE068913-E0E2-4364-ABBB-A1953729A690.jpeg
    DE068913-E0E2-4364-ABBB-A1953729A690.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 132
  • B0095D24-FADE-4914-9C05-020CDBA8E547.jpeg
    B0095D24-FADE-4914-9C05-020CDBA8E547.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 110
Most moray eels with that shape can get to 5 or 6 inches high x 2-3 inches wide.

You should feed it a variety of foods including prawn/ shrimp, fish, squid and various other marine based meats. Buy some different foods from the bait section of a fishing store, or seafood section at a supermarket. Keep the food in the freezer and take a piece out each day, defrost it and feed it to the eel. Try to vary the diet so the ell doesn't become addicted to one food and go on a hunger strike if that food is no longer available. Varying the diet will also help prevent nutritional deficiencies.

Apparently they have poisonous saliva and bites usually get infected. Presumably they have some gross bacteria on their teeth and the bacteria get into the wound when you are bitten.
Keep using the feeding tongs for your own safety :)

Apparently they can reach 5 feet in length too, but most adults are about 3ft long.

Have good covers on the tank to stop them getting out.

Most moray eels with that shape can get to 5 or 6 inches high x 2-3 inches wide.

You should feed it a variety of foods including prawn/ shrimp, fish, squid and various other marine based meats. Buy some different foods from the bait section of a fishing store, or seafood section at a supermarket. Keep the food in the freezer and take a piece out each day, defrost it and feed it to the eel. Try to vary the diet so the ell doesn't become addicted to one food and go on a hunger strike if that food is no longer available. Varying the diet will also help prevent nutritional deficiencies.

Apparently they have poisonous saliva and bites usually get infected. Presumably they have some gross bacteria on their teeth and the bacteria get into the wound when you are bitten.
Keep using the feeding tongs for your own safety :)

Apparently they can reach 5 feet in length too, but most adults are about 3ft long.

Have good covers on the tank to stop them getting out.
So they get taller? Thatā€™s awesome. Iā€™ve never seen a full size adult picture. Yeah I definitely want to feed him a variety of foods. I also heard about the poisonous saliva I am definitely careful about that.

Yeah theyā€™re known to do that. Iā€™ve had mine for about 8 months. Heā€™s doing great!

I recently found a vendor that has one for sale, and was told that this guy is similar to the electric eel and releases electricity. Do you know if this is true? And do you have any other tankmates for this guy?

Hahah no that is definitely not true. Some Morays can give you a rash when they bite. They have some sort of poison in their saliva. Other then that they are perfectly safe. Yeah I have a pleco, a catfish, and two large adult angelfish with him. I tried to add some new young angelfish and he ate them. Surprising because they shouldnā€™t eat anything larger then the size of their mouth. I also feed them silversides and shrimp frozen then thawed. Donā€™t worry if they donā€™t eat right away. It could take a few weeks. Also make sure your water is in good parameters. Itā€™s key to making them succeed. Where are you gonna get it from?

Hahah no that is definitely not true. Some Morays can give you a rash when they bite. They have some sort of poison in their saliva. Other then that they are perfectly safe. Yeah I have a pleco, a catfish, and two large adult angelfish with him. I tried to add some new young angelfish and he ate them. Surprising because they shouldnā€™t eat anything larger then the size of their mouth. I also feed them silversides and shrimp frozen then thawed. Donā€™t worry if they donā€™t eat right away. It could take a few weeks. Also make sure your water is in good parameters. Itā€™s key to making them succeed. Where are you gonna get it from?

I bought one from a local store about 3 years go but sadly I didn't have a lid on the tank at the time and he jumped out. But as of right now, I'm having trouble finding one for my 200 gallon with lid

Thanks so much for hooking me up with a breeder, I was able to get my hands on one of these magnificent creatures. Sadly, I had to give 4 of my severums and 4 of my convicts away to a friend of mine, these fish were eating up all my plants to the point where the new growth were being eaten all the time. I will try to get a picture of my tiger moray once I can get him out of hiding from the huge driftwood.

@Overload Reptiles do you know if these fish actually do pack a nasty bite? I was decorating the plants in the tank today and he came up to my hand and nibbled on my thumb. It didn't pierce through my skin but it got me wondering.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back