DGD (Dwarf Gourami Disaster)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DoubleDutch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Wanted to show how the trade "cares" about these beautiful fish.

This fish was for sale The pic says it all. Aweful.

Attachments

• 20211023_121820.jpg
    20211023_121820.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 88
Sadly this is a fairly common occurence in lots of LFS, especially chain store ones. :sad:

Wanted to show how the trade "cares" about these beautiful fish.

This fish was for sale The pic says it all. Aweful.
Its all about the money for them... They dont give a dang what happens... Although, sometimes the "trade" does care... Maybe that fish was cared for corectly and maybe the fish was born with a defect... Sometimes you have to give the benefit of the doubt with things... Especially with a LPS... Example? My LPS had a bunch of fish with ich and I was disgusted. But guess what? They were imported like that and the LPS was doing everything they could to prevent further infection and to kill off the virus going around... Now it is mandatory for them to treat all the fish epuipment with meds in a bucket. (You cant keep a heater going in the bucket 24/7). That was a devastating outbreak for their business. Sometimes things happen and the pet stores have to deal with it...

Its all about the money for them... They dont give a dang what happens... Although, sometimes the "trade" does care... Maybe that fish was cared for corectly and maybe the fish was born with a defect... Sometimes you have to give the benefit of the doubt with things... Especially with a LPS... Example? My LPS had a bunch of fish with ich and I was disgusted. But guess what? They were imported like that and the LPS was doing everything they could to prevent further infection and to kill off the virus going around... Now it is mandatory for them to treat all the fish epuipment with meds in a bucket. (You cant keep a heater going in the bucket 24/7). That was a devastating outbreak for their business. Sometimes things happen and the pet stores have to deal with it...
There awas another dieing fish in (see in the background of the pic).

This is bad. But before you are too critical of the LFS remember they have ordered fish off a list, and then these show up and the shop must put them somewhere. These shops may not have any other aquariums than what you see. I commented on a thread before that if you are going to set up and run a shop you need tanks out the back to handle fish like these, so the public don't see them.

This is bad. But before you are too critical of the LFS remember they have ordered fish off a list, and then these show up and the shop must put them somewhere. These shops may not have any other aquariums than what you see. I commented on a thread before that if you are going to set up and run a shop you need tanks out the back to handle fish like these, so the public don't see them.
These fish should be euthanised humanely.
It is a big DIY chainstore with tens of stores.
To be honest most other fish didn't look too bad but I'd seriously will never buy a single fish there.

These fish should be euthanised humanely.
It is a big DIY chainstore with tens of stores.
To be honest most other fish didn't look too bad but I'd seriously will never buy a single fish there.
It is a problem when dealing with livestock. The shop may have a return policy on these fish, or they may have only one person who can decide on their fate. Like I say they must go somewhere, and the shop didn't buy them in deliberately

It is a problem when dealing with livestock. The shop may have a return policy on these fish, or they may have only one person who can decide on their fate. Like I say they must go somewhere, and the shop didn't buy them in deliberately
In case of DG's I kindly disagree.
Have seen fish looking like these in Germany a year ago. The LFS s should know by now they shouldn't order or sell DG's.
They shouldn't even have them in the tank.

I think in a lot of LFS, not the chain store types but family run type of store, have their own selected local breeders to supply their livestock and even breeding some or certain species themselves is not out of the question.

So one cannot tar ALL LFS having the same problem of having poor stock simply down to the supplier.

There will be a lot of other factors to take into consideration, the LFS own poor water quaility, transportation stress, acclimatision methods, poor grouping of mixed species or poor numbers of each specie and so on and so forth.

Perhaps some LFS get a bad rap whilst others do all they can, but at the end of the day all LFS are businesses and most of them put profit first before fish health, sad as it is but a reality.

In case of DG's I kindly disagree.
Have seen fish looking like these in Germany a year ago. The LFS s should know by now they shouldn't order or sell DG's.
They shouldn't even have them in the tank.
Hi. I just posted a new topic as this post brings up questions...

The fish in the photo is obviously very unwell, there is no questioning that

I do wonder if the aquarium conditions, not just the water chemistry, add to the issues of fish being unhealthy like this

To me, the aquarium appears to be very bare...ie no plants (real/artificial makes no difference in a shop situation), no rocks or anywhere to hide from other fish who may be bullying them or attacking them thus increasing the stress levels, causing injuries etc that in turn increase the chances of illness/disease setting in.

We as fishkeepers know how easily fish become stressed and how that stress can manifest into illness and disease very fast and can often exacerbate any existing health problem to where it gets to the stage that the poor fish is in the photo if there are no hiding places where a fish can escape to and feel secure.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back