Depth Of Sand?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Morn

Reaction score
As part of the start up pack my LFS is supplying I will be getting approx 4KG of LR and approx 2KG of live sand.

What I am trying to figure out is whether the sand quantity will be sufficient to give a 45cm(l) x 28cm(D) tank a deep enough coating.

My questions therefore are:

1) How deep should the sand be in a Marine setup?
2) Would the amount supplied be considered enough for covering the base to the suggested amount?
3) Where does one purchase cheaper dead sand in the UK?

Thats all for now

Thanks in advance

Graham

choose between, BB, DSB, Plenum, and shallow. Once youve made your choice then you will know how much you need.

depends on what kind of fish you want to put in the tank. jawfish need 4-6 inches. gobies less but still quiet a bit for a nano tank.

sorry not enough...i have a 12 gal tank with 5 kg live roc and 5kg sand and thats barely enough

sorry not enough...i have a 12 gal tank with 5 kg live roc and 5kg sand and thats barely enough

depends what your keeping but generally 1-2 inches max is fine. mine is about 1/34 inches at the front of the tank... middle is about 1 inch and back is about 1 1/2 inch.

Easy decision....1 - 1 1/2 inches or less ..or...barebottom (which I don't like or recommend). No such thing as a DSB in nano reef system unless you try a remote DSB....a huge bucket of sand that water is pumped into and then runs back into the system. Personally, I think a refugium is the best way to reduce nitrates. SH

Easy decision....1 - 1 1/2 inches or less ..or...barebottom (which I don't like or recommend). No such thing as a DSB in nano reef system unless you try a remote DSB....a huge bucket of sand that water is pumped into and then runs back into the system. Personally, I think a refugium is the best way to reduce nitrates. SH

as well as regular maintanance :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back