Demon shrimp and endlers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chimaera

Reaction score
The reason I came here today were my "ghost shrimps". I wanted shrimp for my 10 gal male endler tank, but unfortunately, my good LFS did not have shrimp (other than $20 purebred cherries) so I had to go to that netherworld PetSmart. The horror. Luckily for me, they had big, healthy looking ghosts that I purchased without a second thought. Upon getting them acclimated and situated in the tank, my father told me about when he got a ghost shrimp that promptly killed his fish, which led me to look into it and discover the machrobrachium. Now I'm terrified my adorable little endlers won't be adorable much longer. Unfortunately, PS is just the kind of place to sell demon shrimp as friendly ghosts. I hear that they often have darker colored stripes- mine are a light orange. I am, however, concerned about the claw length. Of course, if these are in fact machros, they will not be able to live with the Endlers. I wonder if pictus eat them... Please take a look at these pictures and let me know what you think. Sorry for the low quality.
IMG_5781.jpg
IMG_5780.jpg
IMG_5779.jpg
IMG_5784.jpg

Last edited:
They won’t eat your endlers if they are active. I’ve never heard about demon shrimp before ?

Sorry, by demon shrimp I meant the macrobrachiums. Apparently they aren't shrimp at all, but freshwater prawns, whose juveniles are often sold as ghost shrimp, but have a nasty habit of grabbing things with their freaky long arms and taking a few bites.

I am tempted to say these are Palaemonetes paludosus, or Ghost shrimp, but can't quite tell for sure from the photos. You can look for the following signs and see if they match the Macrobrachium description. The photos are a bit hard to read and they are so transparent it would be best observed by you. If they have two red dots on the tail and red bands on the legs and feelers, they are Ghost shrimp and not Whisker shrimp. Look at post #6 for comparison.

On another viewing, their claws are not as long as I had previously guessed, and they have the spots. Seems like we're all good! Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back