Delusions Of Grandeur - Planted 180L

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Primous

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After a conversation with members eaglesaquarium and widbetta I have decided to start my first ever planted journal. In my minds eye I have a clear vision of what I'm trying to achieve but as we all know with and in this hobby, even the best laid plans are hard to bring to fruition. Pics and stats will be added tomorrow...

Tank Philosophy
I don't really have a theme or philosophy. The aim is a "Colourful Dutch" aquascape but in truth a densely planted aquarium is more of an necessity due to the bain on my planted experience, nitrate. My water supply has too high a ppm and almost every algae problem I've had so far has used Nitrate as an ingredient to flourish. To combat this, my EI mac ferts have only a third of the recommended nitrate mixed into the solution and although this may not sound ideal, I'm confident that I'll be able to spot any nitrate deficiencies and adjust if need be.

Lighting
Standard juwel 2xT5HO 70W total. 5 hours per day to begin with

Ferts
EI

CO2
Pressurized 1bps

Plants
Some of these I've grow, others I've had zero success with (Cuba) and other's I've never tried before so it's a bit of a gamble some might say. The plant list is as follows...

Micranthemum 'Monte-Carlo'
Utricularia graminifolia
Pogostemon helferi
Microsorum pteropus narrow
Bacopa crenata / monnieri
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Staurogyne repens
Alternanthera rosaefolia
Hygrophila corymbosa
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Proserpinaca Paulustris 'Cuba'
Hygrophila sp. ''Araguaia''

Ideally, the hope here Is to create a contrast of colours: yellowy green - next to brown - next to dark green - next to red with pink thrown somewhere in the mix. I'm aiming for this in particular because most of my tanks, including my best,  to date have all been amazon sword green (if that makes sense.) And whenever I see a scape that is high in contrast to me, personally, they seem grand and I immediately start my wishful thinking which some might call delusions. Hence the scape/journal name.

The nearly there update...

To steralize the tank I used bleach and in short, it would seem that some of the bleach is lingering... And I've ralmost run out of dechlor so not the best of starts. The good news is that I recived 90% of the plants I ordered.
20kx91f.jpg

Also my EI kit.
25f5yxc.jpg

Right now the tank has two powerheads and double the required dechlor. I'll keep adding the remainder of the dechlor every our or so while finalizing my scape. Dechlor issue aside, although the physical hard work is over the real hard of growning/maintaining begins.

Also I want to introduce you to this tiny gem I bought on ebay not too long ago.
8xo6dt.jpg

What's special about it? It's absolutely silent! And I don't mean quiet whisper or minimal noise I mean absolutely silent How? I'm not exactly sure I have a theory but it's not concrete.

I'm inn the market for some deep bodied shrimp safe tetras. I had planned to get rosy tetras but it appears they may not be shrimp safe so any suggestions. With a mods help I'll update  my initial post with tank stats and plant list...

There are mods around if you need updates doing.

Looking good so far, I'll watch with interest.

First day planted.

90% of the UG dried out and turned white but I still planted it and remain hopeful.
4ik8bm.jpg

Tank fully planted. Spray bar not adjusted and black background not on properly but fully planted. Some of these plants reach 50/60cm tal but right now I'm just glad they started to "stand up" when the co2 kicked in.
2pqwchi.jpg

Left
2uy4pqr.jpg

Middle
wt6cyf.jpg

Right
52b8rs.jpg

I've been having trouble trying to stock this tank. I'm on the hunt for rosy tetras but everywhere I've been so far is selling bleeding hearts tertas as rosy tetras? I'm also trying to source an AP macmasteri trio or pair but zero luck with that too. So for now, it's just rasboras.

I love the way this tank is taking shape.  Can't wait to see how it looks once the plants start to grow in.  

drool.gif
 Seriously can't wait to see this once they start to take off!

Very nice!

Once these plants have established and grown, its gonna look good 
smile.png

Patience required 
laugh.png

Love it!!!! The black substrate really makes me wish I didn't go with playsand, but you do what you can right?

Have you ever considered a pearl gourami? It sure would look beautiful in this tank...    but gouramis aren't shrimp safe are they?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback.

I've upped the lighting from 5 hours to 6 and have modded my EI until the Nitrate count is the same as my tap, roughly 1ppm. I'll be checking for nitrate deficiency and will up the dosage but for now I'm still stuck in the less nitrate is more for my tank theory. I need to get hold of some led moons, any suggestions?

LED moonlights?? I would have a look on ebay. They have clip on moonlights for around $12.

So the first test of my tank theory took place today. Zero nitrate! Which is down to the number of plants and the fact that my EI dosage mix calls for 6 spoons of nitrate salt in the macro mix and I reduced that to two.

qqyeyv.jpg

After losing all my shrimp I bought 4 cherries and put an algae pellet seeing as there isn't that much noticeable algae and they're happily feeding on that.

2rcsuol.jpg

I also got hold of the tetras I was after but they're too dull to really picture just yet. After a week on NLS most fish usually show a marked improvement in vibrancy so fingers crossed. I have uploaded a pic to the tropical section for those interested in what they look like after a trip from the lfs.

Merry Christmas guys. Hope you all have the a good one!

Merry Christmas!

You may need to bump up the nitrate a bit, if not sooner, then definitely later as the plants get larger, they will doubtlessly need more nitrogen.

It looks absolutely fabulous and can't wait to see it.  What tetras did you end up getting?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back