Deformed Fantail Goldfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been trying to get as much advice as I can about this problem. I rescue some goldfish in May and have had them going strong since I got them. One of them is a fantail with a deformed mouth. He's been having swim bladder issues since day one but has been going strong up until now. It seems he has stopped growing. One fish that was smaller then him has surpass him. I've been tossing back and forth the idea of putting by himself again (I did for a little bit because he had a super bad episode of his swim bladder being out of whack, I didn't know if he was going to make it or not). He continues to have swim bladder issues and problems eating. I just want some more advice on the matter before I do make the decision to buy another tank to set up for him. He's really a cool little guy and I want him to have the best care I can possibly give him. Any suggestions would be great. They are currently in a 55 and there are six of them (I know way over stocked). 

Attachments

• TIMMY!.jpg
    TIMMY!.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 235
Swim bladder can be caused by a few things such as internal infection or constipation. Might be worth isolating to treat him if you have a cycled 10 gallon tank handy. You can be sure he's eating then and treat him separately if that's the way you decide to go. 
I'm assuming you mean 55G and not 55L tank as you are probably aware that the first goldfish needs 20G and then 10G per fish after that. So the maximum for a 55G would be 4 fancy goldfish.
What are your water parameters? NH3/4, NO2, NO3, pH results and temp if you can would be helpful.

Along with the info Mamashack asked for, what are you feeding, how much and how often?

Yes, they are in a 55 gallon (200 liter). I know the stocking requirements for them. I've been looking for a bigger tank but haven't had any luck. My water can't seem to stay stable and I know that has to be part of the reason his swim bladder has been worst lately. Last time I tested both the ammonia and nitrates had sky rocket. Been doing 50% water changes weekly or more if needed. I've been feeding them omega one goldfish pellets once a day. I give them peas once every two weeks. Going to start feeding blood worms and looking into making gel food for them. 

Could something have compromised the bacteria somehow? There shouldn't be any ammonia at all once the tank is established. The nitrates can be resolved easily by doing water changes but the ammonia is the worrying thing. What are the actual numbers of all the tests and what is the pH? Certain pH can help reduce the toxic effects of ammonia altho if it has "sky-rocketed" maybe not.
I wouldn't worry about changing their foods at this stage - getting the ammonia down should be the main priority.

The reason I was mentioning food is they need to be fed multiple times a day and that might be why she's not seeing growth. I agree though the water is the main concern!

I get your drift, Nin and sorry I didn't mean to appear to be dismissive of your question. 
no.gif

I have no idea what messed up the parameters because for the longest time the ammonia and nitrite were at 0. Then all of the sudden I get almost off the chart ammonia and sky high nitrates. Only thing I can think of is when I removed the sand but I was having problems with the ammonia doing what it is doing now before I did. Part of the reason I removed the sand and then issues with the nitrates the whole time. I'll check the pH and see what it reads. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back