Defining Success ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DAnCSF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just a late afternoon over a beer thought question? As you keep fish do you have a concrete measurement of Success? Me? here's what I think about:
1. Do I just sit and enjoy looking at my tanks.
2. Have I finally stopped having to go to my LFS and replace fish.
3. Are the fish that I bought now breeding or just gotten larger.
4. Finally my most important measure of "success" is it still just plain fun?
Here's a Q&D of my 100g ...
20210722_174840_Film1.jpg

My measurement of success is indeed having a community tank that I really do not need to mess with too much. I always have other side projects, breeding tanks etc, which require constant hands-on. But yes, you are on track with what you say... sit back and just enjoy your tank at times. With a beer or two, of course.

Yup, ain't amazing what a brew or two Guinness can do for ones. mental stability ...LOL...

Back in the 70s, my Mum was into her community tank and success was simply a lack of deaths.

When I started myself, in the early 80s, I carried this through with me, but added my knowledge about fish and suitable tank sizes. Success then was measured by a lack of deaths, (both fish AND plants), relatively normal behaviour* and my fish taking it upon themselves to breed. HOWEVER, it was considered 'normal'** for all aquarists to experience some fish health issues and it was considered 'normal'** to use medications to address these.

Today, I'm thinking that my standards for success will be as they were, coupled with a complete lack of illness or poor health...and my continued enjoyment of simply staring into my pretty glass box for an hour or so at a time.

*Don't forget, all of us talk about our fish that have probably been farmed and then come to live with us in completely artificial glass boxes. ;)
**Normaility is a statistical fiction. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back