Decorations for a new tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ancient11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am looking for some driftwood for my tank. Every time I look at some advertisement for driftwood it is 4 to 8
inches long and in the review column it states that it releases massive amounts of tannins. I am putting this in a 70 gallons tank and so I need a larger piece that does not release a lot of tannins. I would appreciate any links to larger pieces of wood that is the appropriate size for a 70 gallon tank.
Thank you very much
Ancient

All wood will produce tannins for a period of time. After that it stops releasing them and the water will stop turning brown. Tannins aren't harmful to fish but they do make it hard to see the fish. If they get too dark, just do a huge water change to dilute them.

I've been shopping around for driftwood as well with no real rush pick some up for a similar sized tank (90g)

The best by far I've seen is a reputable local fish store. Their prices and selection are great compared to other similar stores.

I have not been convinced about anything that I've seen online. Many amazon reviews are mixed, and you really won't know what your getting until you receive it. In my opinion, this is the best I've seen as far as price goes, but I'm not convinced about the quality, size, shape or safeness. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Aq...-Driftwood-Aquascaping-Reptile-M/123777002430 I also don't fully trust reviews on products like this because a lot of newer fish keepers don't take proper steps or just don't know what they are getting into with products like this.

Many woods will release tannins no matter how hard you try to get rid of them, so it should be boiled or soaked for weeks if you'd like to remove it. Tannins are ok for fish and some people even like the natural color it releases. Worst case, your water has a brown hue to it until it is removed over time and with water changes.

Your best luck is going to the store itself so you can hand pick some pieces that will work best for you in your tank. Boil or soak it, and you'll be good to go.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been shopping around for driftwood as well with no real rush pick some up for a similar sized tank (90g)

The best by far I've seen is a reputable local fish store. Their prices and selection are great compared to other similar stores.

I have not been convinced about anything that I've seen online. Many amazon reviews are mixed, and you really won't know what your getting until you receive it. In my opinion, this is the best I've seen as far as price goes, but I'm not convinced about the quality, size, shape or safeness. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Aq...-Driftwood-Aquascaping-Reptile-M/123777002430 I also don't fully trust reviews on products like this because a lot of newer fish keepers don't take proper steps or just don't know what they are getting into with products like this.

Many woods will release tannins no matter how hard you try to get rid of them, so it should be boiled or soaked for weeks if you'd like to remove it. Tannins are ok for fish and some people even like the natural color it releases. Worst case, your water has a brown hue to it until it is removed over time and with water changes.

Your best luck is going to the store itself so you can hand pick some pieces that will work best for you in your tank. Boil or soak it, and you'll be good to go.
Than you very much for the link. I bought about 8 small pieces and put them in my first tank and two days later it was brown water and I did 4 water changes in two weeks and it cleared up (with carbon and uv light) which is perfectly acceptable (don't want to get into 2 months worth though). I am attached to oxygen and hard rails, so I can't go to fish stores.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you search ebay, you can find the same wood from different sellers for a few bucks cheaper.

You can soak it in a large bucket for a few weeks and change the water out when it gets dark if you don't want it in your tank.

If you do buy it, post a picture for me when you get it. Maybe I'll put in an order or 2 as well haha.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back