deciding on fish...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Here is what I'm looking at for a possibility. One thing I haven't yet found is how many should be kept together. This is just an initial look and not yet a strong consideration.
Laetecara thayeri "Rio Itaya" -- seem to be one of the more peaceful cichlids.

Anyone know of major issues with this fish? It is considered fairly rare in the aquarium trade but is available from a warehouse right next to my apartment. Would cost me ~$30.00 per fish.

Last edited:
Here is what I'm looking at for a possibility. One thing I haven't yet found is how many should be kept together. This is just an initial look and not yet a strong consideration.
Laetecara thayeri "Rio Itaya" -- seem to be one of the more peaceful cichlids.

Anyone know of major issues with this fish? It is considered fairly rare in the aquarium trade but is available from a warehouse right next to my apartment. Would cost me ~$30.00 per fish.
L.Thayeri are a fantastic fish I had a group of 4 a few years ago, really beautiful fish and generally peaceful but when my group bred they were really aggressive and I had to move them on. I am a bit surprised that Seriously Fish have them as 55-65mm as they are not a dwarf species, my biggest male was at least 5 inches and very chunky like a brick!

I had them in a 6 foot 135 gallon tank with other South American Cichlids, Headstanders and Catfish.

They are also often mis-identified I saw some Curviceps labeled as Thayeri as they do all look the same at smaller sizes, the way to ID Thayeri is the stripe from their eye goes through the gill plate and than turns up to the dorsal fin and continues through the fin. Curviceps has the line running through the eye and the gill plate but it fades out along the lateral line.

Wills

I'll echo Wills - good fish. If you buy six and get 3 pairs, you'll soon need three tanks of thayeri loving friends though. That's pretty well the story for any non mouthbrooding Cichlid though.

L.Thayeri are a fantastic fish I had a group of 4 a few years ago, really beautiful fish and generally peaceful but when my group bred they were really aggressive and I had to move them on. I am a bit surprised that Seriously Fish have them as 55-65mm as they are not a dwarf species, my biggest male was at least 5 inches and very chunky like a brick!

I had them in a 6 foot 135 gallon tank with other South American Cichlids, Headstanders and Catfish.

They are also often mis-identified I saw some Curviceps labeled as Thayeri as they do all look the same at smaller sizes, the way to ID Thayeri is the stripe from their eye goes through the gill plate and than turns up to the dorsal fin and continues through the fin. Curviceps has the line running through the eye and the gill plate but it fades out along the lateral line.

Wills
I guess the size rules out this one. Too large for a 20 gallon cube.

I guess the size rules out this one. Too large for a 20 gallon cube.
Ah yeah sorry it would be take a pic of them if you can though as they might not be thayeri if you want us to check post a pic or two

Ah yeah sorry it would be take a pic of them if you can though as they might not be thayeri if you want us to check post a pic or two
Here are a couple of pictures and the sales page. I was kind of worried about the size as the sales page describes a shipping size around the same as the max. size shown on Seriously Fish. :dunno:

Dans_Fish_Dwarf_Acara_Dwarf_Acara_-_Laetecara_thayeri_from_Rio_Itaya_2_7da24715b63a43248d8d96c...jpg

Dans_Fish_Dwarf_Acara_Dwarf_Acara_-_Laetecara_thayeri_from_Rio_Itaya_3_7c0658406cf1445a878885b...jpg

Ah yeah they are thayeri - very jealous you live near Dan’s fish he is like a proper legend! (If it’s the one I’m thinking of) if you ask them about other laetacara species they will def be able to get them!

Ah yeah they are thayeri - very jealous you live near Dan’s fish he is like a proper legend! (If it’s the one I’m thinking of) if you ask them about other laetacara species they will def be able to get them!
It is Dan's Fish in Sheridan Wyoming. At least living next door prevents shipping costs. ;)

Since I'm looking at fish I have a question about bottom feeders. Tank is a 20 gallon cube with a pretty course gravel substrate. If I can manage not to kill a large portion of the substrate will end up, over time, covered with java moss. PH is ~6.1 and I tend to keep the water temperature at ~81F.

I understand the reasoning of not having corys or plecos with a gravel substrate. Would this still hold with a java moss layer on the gravel? If still not good for corys or plecos what would be a good bottom feeder? Possibly a loach of some sort? Mayhaps a group of Zebra Loach?

I think you should look at Keyhole Cichlids they are really cool and peaceful
Interesting fish but I worry about the size of 4-5 inches in a 20 gallon cube. A quick search shows that a 20 gallon would work for 2 of these fish but would drastically restrict any added bio load.

Interesting fish but I worry about the size of 4-5 inches in a 20 gallon cube. A quick search shows that a 20 gallon would work for 2 of these fish but would drastically restrict any added bio load.
Keyholes rarely get that big. Infact, I have never seen a 5-inch Keyhole. They max out at about three inches normally

The 2 absolutely mildest Cichlids I have ever kept have been keyholes and Apistogramma borellii. My keyholes wouldn't even protect their fry - not exactly a dynamic fish, but very sweet in a disturbingly lazy way.
A 20 gallon cube is a rotten size and shape for any of the Cichlids. keyholes because they are so placid, and some of the smaller Apistogramma. The Cichlid problem is that water volume is secondary to front glass measurements. Territorial fish need territory.
In a tank that small, the Cichlid species you choose will be your bottom of the tank fish. I would add no competitors, because if things go south, they have nowhere to go.

My 'rule' is that you take the adult length of a territorial Cichlid (mbuna don't count) and multiply it by 8. That gives you the appropriate front glass measurement for a single pair. If it's a high bodied fish, like many Geopphagus, for example, then 10 times the body length at full adulthood.

It isn't a popular rule. It is based on experience and it works, but it's really inconvenient.

I think that I may have put things out wrong. Yes I like cichlids. I also like rope fish. In most cases neither will fit my tank. Right now I'm basically just looking at fish that will fit in my current 20 gallon. This small of a tank is new to me as is going totally live plants. I'm really just looking for advice as to fish that are hardy, easy and pretty and will fit my tank. As a note I do not want to go with guppies, mollies or platties.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back