Decent Algae Treatments

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Blade118

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am looking for some algae treatments in liquid form, Just wondering if anyone knows any GOOD ones which WORK! Half of what i hear does nothing, thanks

Note For a fish tank not pond!

Why not get some Ottos

Ottos for a 120l tank? Could you link some websites about them, cant find anything :no:

Nup, but its better to have something natural that will consume the Algae than using any Water Treatments to get rid of the Algae!

With some algae eaters and limiting the time in which you keep your lights on, you should have minimal algae buildup.

Unless an algae bloom got out of control and threatens the tank residents, I would avoid aglae products.

The biggest cause of algae is people leaving thier lights on for too long (all day). ;)

Problem likely is too much nitrates and phosphates (=algae food) in your tank. How's your nitrate level?

Aside from regular water changes, best bet is to cut off that food supply vs toxins to just plain kill algae.

Make sure you're not overfeeding. In our 75 gallon tank, I use Nitraban (which locks up both nitrates and phosphates) and also filter media that supposedly snags phosphates. Results have been pretty dramatic. Water has been crystal clear for long periods... growth of gack on the glass and tank is also limited. No apparent side effects.

-Ryan

You know what, that makes sence! My Nitrates levels are 1.5 (still cycling) but i can see algae growing :angry:

This may sound silly but you say keeping the tanks light increases algae? How long is it advised? 8 hours aday?

You know what, that makes sence! My Nitrates levels are 1.5 (still cycling) but i can see algae growing :angry:

This may sound silly but you say keeping the tanks light increases algae? How long is it advised? 8 hours aday?

I do 4 hours on, then off for 2 and back on for 4 and that was working very well until the sun started comign through the window and hitting the tank. Had to draw the curtains to keep it in check.

Iain

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back