Debate Section

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Do you like polls?

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I could get to if a poll bought me diner at a fancy restaurant and opened the door for me.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

guppyguy1234

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i would reccomend a debate section were members can post a topic and other members can discuss there views on it for example...

fish IN cycleing

fish in cycling is good as it allows the impatient keeper to enjoy his/her tank without the month of waiting and testing.

response

NO fish in cycleing is cruel and not very effective it is worth waiting for a month to know wen you get fish in they will be happy and healthy.

i feel this is a good idea but i will leave it up to whoever is in charge of the forum.

Debates are good, the only problem is that it is open then for just having a row. If the person opens the debate with a valid point that but is not "popular" then that person is more likely to just be ganged up on.

Plus it would be difficult for moderators to keep track of.

Our current format allows for a fair amount of 'back and forth' on all topics.  In fact, you could say that EVERY thread that's open is actually a form of a debate.

We also have a science section that allows for a bit more spirited (but needs to be backed up by scientific references) debate.

star4 said:
Debates are good, the only problem is that it is open then for just having a row. If the person opens the debate with a valid point that but is not "popular" then that person is more likely to just be ganged up on.

Plus it would be difficult for moderators to keep track of.

Well said.. I remember being ganged up on in another site when I said something that contradicted the experience of a popular betta exporter. It wasn't even a debate thread yet

I have been ganged up on other forums alot. I dont want a debate section here as if someone posts a "wrong" opinion, they will get ganged up on. That saying no opinion is wrong, so why gang up on them? 

Yeah. Sometimes its funny when even the new and learning hobbyists  would join the gang up by quoting old wives tale from their fish dealers or what they have read from wikipedia and stating their thoughts as if they have actually experienced them. And oh.. they'll swarm you... 

If we are to have a debate section, I suggest we just talk about trivial matters like dating, hobbies or maybe brand preferences. 

my car site has a polling format that can tabulate votes over a pre-decided timeline---can this be incorporated into this site

Polls are already built into this site.

I actually like polls if not over used...

Got confused by the poll thing at first, thought was for agreeing for a Debate Section rather than asking if like polls, i do like polls but not too many of them.

As for a debate section, well as Eagles says, you could say that every thread posted on this forum could be classed as a debate, as it asks for opinions on many things.

So i'd have to say having a Debate Section would not the easiest thing to control for mods as mentioned already that may be some members may be picked on for their comments or opinions. Rather avoid this really. 

It was just to visually demonstrate that we actually already have polls and what they look like. I just made up a silly question for demonstration purposes.

As for the debate section, as it's been explained, we already have a designated section for debates with specific rules known as the Scientific Section and any debate outside of those set of rules/topics takes place on a daily basis in just about any thread where people see fit to debate a matter of husbandry. 

on my car site, we have a forum just for polls---all polls only in one forum---less distracting this way for the general flow of other topics----maybe the mods could consider doing this on this site as well

I think it's important to have polls available wherever they are needed. Often they form the basis for a discussion and simply work as an icebreaker for a thread.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back