Death of my Fire Eel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

james

Reaction score
Well I am gutted. I had a very nice Fire Eel for 6 weeks, been a little quiet lately. Came down yesterday morning and he had died. Lost a little colour, apart from that looked fine, no swelling, bleeding or wounds.
PH7.0, Ammonia fine, Nitrite fine.

This is the only one of my fish that I did not research myself, took advice from my local aquarium (which is very good), ie hiding places, fresh tropical plants etc.

Any ideas?

As sad as it is sometimes fish just die for no apperant reason,i have had this recently with 2 of my needle fish which have just dropped dead,perfect water conditions no sign of disease on them or any of the other fish,even fed well just a couple of hours before,so dont beat yourself up other it keep an eye on the rest of the tank over the next week and if nothing happens go out and get yourself another one. :D

Don't think this was the case. I am now annoyed. I was assured (and I know I should have researched first, as I did my other fish) by the sales chap at my very good local shop (for local people) that it would be fine with other fish, with 8-10 hours per day of light. However, from researching it would appear that 1)keep it away from other fish and 2)keep it in the dark.

So, my fault the poor mite snuffed it. A valuable lesson learned.

Although you are right in that it is a fish recomended to be kept alone this is for the benefit of its tank mates as this fish can get large and is aggresive and yes the fish dosn't like light as it is nocturnal but you provided day time hiding places so again nothing wrong,just put it down to one of those unexplained deaths and put it behind you. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back