Death of my Female Molly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NewEngland11

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what happend but I woke up this morning and turned on the tank light and she was missing some of her scales. I noticed that the male was pecking at her. I took her out and put her in a seperate tank but apparently there was no saving her. I guess the male molly must have beat her to death??????? why would he do that? He gets along with the other fish. She was pregnant but the fry couldn't be saved either. Too bad. Does anyone have any idea on what could have caused this.

There must have been something about that pair. Bullying sounds like the main cause. Put it down to one of those things :/

would you recommend that I get another female or should I just leave the male by himself. He seems to be doing alright.

I don't see any reason to go put and buy another fish straight away. If he's doing fine then just leave it. A bit down the line you may want to do something else with the tank. Even add diffrent fish, so use the space wisely.

:( One of my platies died yesterday, I wondering what caused it because my molly that died a while ago looked and acted the same before dying. bloated. really bloated. I hope its not something contagious.

The only thing I think it could be would be dropsy :(
But It could be a livebearer thing and as I'm not a lover of them I'll teave it to the others ;)

any chance of a detailed description on how the fish looked before they died ( scales sticking up, abnormal marks, swimming problems etc). Also whats the water conditions like,ammonia nitrate/nitrite sort of thing.
I've never kept live bearers so not to sure myself but I would have thought if it was dropsy you would have a few more affected.

Davy, Isn't Rose the live bearer expert in here? where is she when you nee her. :hmm:

What do you want Adeyc. Can't you solve one small problem by yourself?? :p :laugh:

I need a lot more info than what you have given me to figure out what your fish have been dying of. If you could give me the answers to the following questions we'll be on our way.

What are your water peramiters at (ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte,pH)?

What size tank are we talking about?

What types of fish are in the tank and how many of each kind as well as how big?

Have you put in any new fish in this tank in the last 2 months? If so what and how many?

Did you quaranteen the new fish and for how long?

What are the symptoms of the ailling fish?

How many have had these symptoms and died?

Are there any fish stressers?

What, how often and how much are you feeding this tank?

When and how much of a water change do you do on this tank?

What water conditioner(s) are you using after each water change?

How are you changing the water (buckets or something else)?

Those questions will get us going in the right direction for getting your fish back to good health. In the mean time do NOT add any more fish. Rose 8)

:p Bah Humbug :laugh:

I was just after yer expert opinyun. I didn' think you'd need to know that much, but I s'pose it saves asking later. Just don't answer if she asks what colour your underwear is, she'll throw that question in somewhere. :laugh:

For lunch I had lobster and swordfish. for dinner I'm opening a can of whoop a**. :laugh:

Sorry I'm in a fiesty mood today. Hubby leaves for 4.5 months soon and it's been a bad week for sleep. It's better for me to be in a fiesty mood than a nasty one. Less dead bodies to burry that way.

Adeyc it's not what color are your underwear; it's boxers or briefs, God butt or not?

Rose

Good Greif woman. Your other half's not away yet and already you're getting intimate. :laugh:  :love:  :p

Commando?

Wrong feisty mate. Get your mind out of the gutter. This is the fighting feisty. Stinkin drunks allways thinking the worst about people. Oh wait that would include me too, never mind. Rose 8)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back