Death Death And More Death

debbie888

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 60 litre tank which had (past tense) 2 guppies, 2 amano shrimps, 2 AD frogs and 6 various tetra....I moved some molly fry into the tank about a month ago as I needed more room in my fry tank.

I tested the water tonight and the stats are fine, I have 6 tanks so know what to look for....readings etc.

Anyway frog died last week, bloated....day after a tetra died, then a guppy....then 2 more tetra, then the other frog....and today 1 guppy dead, 1 tetra and one of a shrimp...I am at my wits end....I added 6 molly fry a month ago, and they all seem fine....the shrimp had turned a funny colour....I need help as I feel I am going to lose all the fish in there.....I have been doing regular water changes, and more so with all the deaths....I doubt anyone can enlighten me on what is happening...I could understand this if my stats were not reading correctly...I have tested with 2 different kits, and the readings are pretty much the same.

I know everytime I go into the room with this tank I am to see another fish dead....there are no visable symptons on any of the fish, they do seem to have lost colour though....but I think they died in the day while I was at work, and thought the colour loss might have been caused with them lying dead in the tank....!

Jesus this is doing my head in...anyone offer any advice....other than throw the damn tank in the trash....? (joking)

Debbie

Maybe there is something poisoning the fish which you dont know about-Have you a new air freshener or something which the air pump is sucking in and pumping through your water......? Just throwing ideas around mrs freaky!

If something was toxic to the fish they would be showing signs of gasping, darting around the tank.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing or laboured breathing.
Is there enough aeration in the tank.

Maybe there is something poisoning the fish which you dont know about-Have you a new air freshener or something which the air pump is sucking in and pumping through your water......? Just throwing ideas around mrs freaky!

Nope...had thought about this...but no...nothing new in the room the tank is in! My freaky fry are in that tank...maybe it is them.....?

Seriously though this is quite worrying!

Check to see if there enough aeration in the tank.
Fish being pale can be signs of stress, bad water quality, parasites, to bacterial.
Any excess mucas on the body or gills.
Anys signs of flicking and rubbing.
Any sores or red streaking on the fish fins or body.

You keep mentioning your test kits, but havent posted the readings, would you please do so? I would think internal bacterial infections, if you are just suddenly dieng, with no signs of anything externally. Have they been eating normally? What does their poop look like? I would hardly thinky our water would be fine after have so amny things die in there.

If something was toxic to the fish they would be showing signs of gasping, darting around the tank.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing or laboured breathing.
Is there enough aeration in the tank.

Wilder

No gasping or darting about the tank...I would of thought the molly fry would have been the most vulnerable in the tank...but obviously not..no flicking or rubbing or laboured breathing.....honest there is nothing suspicious in the tank that would normally make me think...hmmmm...something is not right... I tested the water a couple of days ago after a couple of deaths and it was fine, I thought today...right test again but still showing no signs of anything abnormal....I don't know if this might help....and maybe someone else has had a shrimp die....it turned into a orange/pinky colour, infact it looked like a bloody prawn in the tank....this tank is in my eldest daughters bedroom...and she is getting upset with all the fish dying.....aeration yep...there is plenty of that.

This is a mystery to me...I have searched all over the net for clues, but I cannot give an explanation for the deaths, no bloating apart from one frog...no visable parasites...the only thing I can say is from the colouring of the dead fish..the majority of fish that have died...have lost all colouring.....I just know something is very wrong in that tank...I am worried about all the fish...but in particular the fry...they were my first born....ok sad as I am..... i am just really fed up this is happening.....I even thought about moving all the fish left in there not that there is many.....1 shrimp....2 tetra.....and 6 molly fry...but I dare not incase they pass on whatever it is that is killing them.

I am sat here doubting anyone can offer an explanation but hey I can hope...no doubt I will be posting tomorrow with more deaths?

Debbie

^ shrimp always turn pinky orange when they die. Happens everytime i ahve shrimp die, yep, including ghost shrimp.

If you are losing alot of fish and no flicking and rubbing, I would add a bacterial med once you have ruled out toxins, bad water quality and aeration in the tank.

Check to see if there enough aeration in the tank.
Fish being pale can be signs of stress, bad water quality, parasites, to bacterial.
Any excess mucas on the body or gills.
Anys signs of flicking and rubbing.
Any sores or red streaking on the fish fins or body.

Wilder

There is aeration in the tank...the fish are not at the top of the water gasping for breath...the colouring of the fish that are left in there is fine, it is after they have died their colouring seem to go....as I said I work all day, if they die in the morning or during the day them they are left floating in the tank and I am no expert but surely they lose their colour then...rotting etc?

No mucus on body or gills.....no flicking or rubbing....no sores or red streaking...I have had a look at the dead fish for any signs of anything but nothing....is there anything I could add to the tank to medicate for anything or everything...I am desperate....at this moment in time...I feel like screaming....going up and emptying the tank of everything in it.....know that sounds like mad.....but I am frustrated I seem to beable to do nothing at all to help?

Debbie

^ shrimp always turn pinky orange when they die. Happens everytime i ahve shrimp die, yep, including ghost shrimp.

Ok thanks for that...appreciate it.

If you are losing alot of fish and no flicking and rubbing, I would add a bacterial med once you have ruled out toxins, bad water quality and aeration in the tank.

Any recommendations on what bacterial med to add wilder?

I really appreciate your reply and help.

What sort of decor do you have in the tank- any rocks, shells etc? Have you use any chemicals like meds etc in the tank recently?

Debbie it would be good to see your water stats just to make sure its fine.

Debbie it would be good to see your water stats just to make sure its fine.

Ammonia 0
Ph 7.0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0

I understand people always assume water stats are to blame, this is not a dig at you wilder at all...you asked for the stats and I posted them..i do not mean to sound harsh....I run 6 tanks....so regular water changes....test the water....I do not overfeed my fish.....I am by no means an expert....if it was water quality I would know....I have learnt a thing or two in the last six months....if the water quality was bad...then surely the young vulnerable fry would be affected....or is that not right?

Debbie

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back