Dead fish stuck in tank (newbie question)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

luma

Reaction score
First off thanks for all the info I have picked up here, been most useful.
Ok here is my problem. I have an 800-liter take that has been running for about a month and a half. I have some Tiger barbs (they were my guinea pigs), a Bala shark, Ruby Tets, Placostomus (cant spell that one), 2 catfish and a Ghost fish. The water tested 100% a week and a half ago. The problem I have now is a small Tiger Barb (1.5cm) has gone and died by swimming into the lining of the tank right by the filter. I am unable to get to it other than draining the tank, which I do not want to do. The question is how will this affect the water quality and for how long? Iam still doing regular water changes 25% 1 to 2 times a week to reduce the tannin content from the wood. Would this be enough to keep the Ammonia levels down? How long would it take to decompose?

Hiya, welcome to the fourm.

In a tank of your size it won't make much of a difrence. A fish that size will prob, vanish in a few days.

All the water changing etc will solve the problem anyway. I wouldn't worry about it to much. ;)

Thanks for the reply I just wanted to make sure since I was in to much of a rush in the begining and lost 4 finger fish. By the way does this forum have e-mail notification if you get a reply to a question or do you just need to keep checking back?

Hi Luma,

First of all welcome!

I don't think there is e-mail notification of reply's on the forum posts. Most of us are here practically everyday anyhow! :laugh:

Join in the fun and watch out for aliens! ...and GL's comments! :laugh: :p :laugh:

Yeah you can get email notifications to a topic.

At the bottom of this page, there should be the link for track this topic click on it and it'll see it up for you. Then in your control pannel you can sort them ;)

Thats some size of tank you have. Whats the dimentions of it. Plus what are you going to keep in it ;)

1800 x 600 x 700 cm . If I work it out correctly should be +- 756 liters. I got a little trashed one day and decided to buy a fish tank. I have not owned one for 9 years, allot of things have changed since then. I like different fish like the Ghost fish, knife fish, finger fish (Mono's), upside down butterfly fish. Only problem is I like the idea of a Community tank and defiantly not just Cichlids. They are nice and busy but look like a "location" gone wrong, everything is just going in all directions at once. Any suggestions for live plants and fish would be appreciated. So far I have 5 tiger barbs (Don’t real care if they get eaten), 3 Ruby tets (they can also be eaten), ghost fish (+- 25cm), 2 little catfish (cant remember their names), Bala or Tri color shark (10cm) and a Pleco (30cm). I can get another Pleco (30cm) for free but do not know if the tank would support both while it is only 1.5 months old. Any suggestions.

Hi and welcome :D I might be a little rusty on my maths, but isn't 1800 x 600 x 700 cms a little on the "large" size. 1800 cms is 18 metres - as far as I know (and that maybe not much) there are 100 cms in a metre. :) If your measurements are correct, then your tank holds more than 16000 UK gallons. :)

:) Hi luma, welcome to the Friendliest Fish Forum on the Net. What's a nothing between friends!!! 1800x600x700 gives 756 litres or 166.3gallons. Have fun while you're here :thumbs: Mac.

and i thought i had the biggest tanks :( ':cry:'

BTW the other Pleco should be ok ina week or 2 :D

Yes I screwed up it is mm, would be one hell of a tank though , you would need scuba equipment to clean the thing. anyway you guys/girls must be good luck or that dead fish. My Ghost fish came out lastnight and ate some blood worms and whent for my Pleco. This mornign he even ate some flaks. YEH. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back