Dead Cory, Seems Like Blood Near Scale Surface?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Luke_e

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Tank size: 125l
pH: 6.0
ammonia: 2.0
nitrite:0.25
nitrate:80 - 160
kH: N/A
gH: N/A
tank temp: 26.0 c

Fish Symptoms: 1 dead cory. Noticed when i got home, was dead and has blood at the suface of scales.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 30l weekly.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Dechlorinator

Tank inhabitants: (see sig)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): N/A

Exposure to chemicals: N/A

Digital photo (include if possible):

I dont really do water parameter checks often unless i notice a problem, and when i saw my stats i was truely shocked.
I never slack with maintainence, i clear the filter out periodicly (i wash 1 sponge at a time in tank water).
I am clueless to why my PH is 6.0 as my tap water is 7.0 and last time i checked my params (just over a month) the tank water was 7.0, and i havent added any more bogwood etc.
What causes what the cory had, and could it be possible my API test kit is a duff one, as i thought shrimps couldnt cope with the slightest trace of ammonia yet all my shrimp are fine. No other fish are showing signs of illness.
I'm going to do 30l water changes daily to get the water params down. Unfortunatly i cant do one at the moment as i have no declorinator. I'll get some in the morning and do the water change...

:/

Yes them results are bad, plus corys are sensitive to water quality, are you overstocked, can we take a look at your tank size, and how many fish and which type, plus filter.
Used any meds.
The blood on the scales sound like septicemia, corys are very prone to bacterial problems, most likely fetched on by bad water quality.
Wow just seen your list of fish in your signature very over stocked, what filter is it.

Tank size is stated above 125l, and its in my sig. Fish are also in my sig. No meds.

I dont have a clue why the params are that bad, i dont over feed and i keep up on water changes and maintainence.
Can i add meds to prevent any of my other fish of getting septicimia?
Its a juwel rio 125 filter.

That tank is way overstocked, water changes thats all, need to do water changes as when a fish has septicemia the bacteria from the fish enters the tank, just keep up with water changes.
If its a juwel tank i would invest in another filter like a fluval 2.

Its over stocked? I didnt realise, the number of fish currently in have been like that since around 2months ago so i would of thought over stocking would of become apparent earlier, and in my opinion it didnt seem over stocked, but i have only been keeping fish since sept.
Ok, i'll do frequent water changes. How often and what volume would you suggest? 30l daily?
I've had no problem with the filter, it seems to kick out a good current, but when i get some money i'll get another filter to run along side it.
Thanks for you're help Wilder.

I have juwel tanks and i run two filters in every tank, trust me you are overstocked and need that extra filter, plus my water is crystal clear we having to filters in the tank.
Yes 30% water changes and a gravel vac with all of them fish, the filter isn't coping with the stock, or you will have to rehome some of them.

Just realised i did have dechlorinator, i've done a 40l change and my stats are as follows (well i only took 3)
Ph - 6.2
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite - (less than 0.25, but not quite 0).

Seems like water changes is what will deffinantly solve the stats problem, as well as a new filter.
Thanks for the help wilder.

That better but still bad, just keep up with the water changes, good luck.

Yea its bad, but i am going to sort it and the death of the cory has alerted me to this. For now until the stats are perfect, 30 - 40l daily changes inc sand vac.
When stats are perfect i'll knock it down to 5x a week as long as water params stay perfect, then 4x, 3x etc as long as they stay perfect. I'll prob stick with a minimum of 3x a week just to be sure. The downgrade on the frequency will be gradual and water params will be checked frequently..
Thanks for the luck Wilder. Much appreciated.

Anytime that you have an ammonia and nitrite reading means the filters not coping, and you have been doing maintance so that why i said get another filter, but overstocking dosnt help, good luck.

If you can get a second filter you can lower the water changes to twice a week at 20%. dont forget to clean the grog from your sponges aswell as that slows the filter down.

Most reactions

Back