Dead Catfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
thats good news :)

I have 2 Khuli loaches that I have owned for nearing 8 years now and for 12 months I was certain they were dead and gone, never saw them. Then suddenly one day, saw both of them :eek:

With moving the tank around a lot recently, got a good look at them both and looking good and healthy.

Thank you both...yeah for a minute I almost thought I was seeing a catfish ghost lol!!  I checked twice this morning and he's still great :)

80F is far too warm to be keeping Bronze (a common "albino" form) or Peppered Corydoras permanently, same goes for Neon Tetra, let the tank naturally drop in temperature by reducing the heater's thermostat so ~70F (~22C) is maintained (Peppered do well if allowed to live at 61-68F for part of the year). Keeping fish in warmer water will vastly reduce their lifespan, it speeds up their metabolism.

IMO you should also increase your water change sizes to much closer to ~50% weekly.

If fish are known to have died, why not remove the fish from the tank, rather than letting your snail "feast" on it and create an ammonia spike as it rots (not to mention increasing the odds of disease spreading through the community)? I sadly lost a ~5-month old Blockhead Cichlid youngster yesterday (got stuck in U4 venturi opening and attacked by other Blockheads before I saw what was going on), but I removed it from the Rio240, rather than letting the ~120 Ilyodon and Steatocranus youngsters tear it apart and foul the water further.

I think the Op will have gone through something many of us have: one morning to the next it disappears and no amount of hunting finds it. Lost a chinese loach like that, pulled out all the wood & ornaments and could not find it.

N0body Of The Goat said:
80F is far too warm to be keeping Bronze (a common "albino" form) or Peppered Corydoras permanently, same goes for Neon Tetra, let the tank naturally drop in temperature by reducing the heater's thermostat so ~70F (~22C) is maintained (Peppered do well if allowed to live at 61-68F for part of the year). Keeping fish in warmer water will vastly reduce their lifespan, it speeds up their metabolism.

IMO you should also increase your water change sizes to much closer to ~50% weekly.

If fish are known to have died, why not remove the fish from the tank, rather than letting your snail "feast" on it and create an ammonia spike as it rots (not to mention increasing the odds of disease spreading through the community)? I sadly lost a ~5-month old Blockhead Cichlid youngster yesterday (got stuck in U4 venturi opening and attacked by other Blockheads before I saw what was going on), but I removed it from the Rio240, rather than letting the ~120 Ilyodon and Steatocranus youngsters tear it apart and foul the water further.
 I will try to lower my temp, but the tank might have to wait a month because right now it's in a fairly warm garage.  In 1 month we will be moving it into the house. Do you think they can wait that long?
dgwebster is right, I couldn't find the fish for the life of me.  I now know that it was probably stuck in a crack in the ornament that I couldn't see into.
I will start doing bigger water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back