Dead betta - not sure of cause

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oman

Reaction score
Hi guys, pretty sad day, my male fighter (bean) who was just starting get some really cool koi patterns just died, I only noticed him acting lethargic and not eating a day or 2 ago. And the redness pictured has slowly developed, since yesterday, getting really big today. pH, ammonia and nitrite are all stable, there are other fish in the tank, endler guppy and sterbai corys added a week ago, have had blue shrimp and nerite snails for the last couple months. I am a bit concerned as I have no clue what my fish has died of and I am worried if the other fish in the tank may also be at risk. Thanks in advance guys :)
4C830B41-227F-4692-9A04-B65541D4C880.jpeg
9D677BF6-9336-41E2-B2E8-91BB26088761.jpeg

Sorry for the loss.

What do you mean by "stable" when describing your water params? What are your actual readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, using a liquid test kit?

Did you quarantine new fish before adding to the tank? If so, how long?

Sorry for the loss.

What do you mean by "stable" when describing your water params? What are your actual readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, using a liquid test kit?
Both ammonia and nitrite were both basically 0 and ph was 6.7 but it had been that since I first set the tank up

Sorry for your loss....

That red stomach is disturbing; possibly caused by extreme levels of ammonia or an internal protozoan infection.

If your ammonia and nitrites were zero, then I think the most likely explanation is that the new fish you brought in a week ago may have introduced a pathogen. It could be that the betta had a weaker immune system for whatever reason and it hit him harder, faster. I don't recommend keeping other fish with bettas for other reasons, but I've learned the importance of quarantining new fish the hard way myself. Not fun.

Thanks guys, I don’t have a test for nitrate atm, so wouldn’t be able to tell you. I agree thinking it was a bacterial infection. And yeah foolishly I didn’t quarantine the new fish but they were from the same shop and my room is a bit small for another tank, I’ve got another tank now I could do it in for the future. Do you guys think the new fish are at risk at all? If so what steps do you recommend I take? Kind regards :)

Personally I would go with Aquarium Co Op Quarantine trio meds just to be safe. Or you could watch them carefully and see if they show any signs of distress and then use medication at that point. It's worth getting even a small 3 gallon quarantine tank. Or introduce all the fish you will ever introduce at once and treat it as a quarantine tank from the start.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back