De-nitrators

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TBLightningFan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have seen these around on the web quite a bit. Has anyone used these at all and had success with one? Is it worth the $125 to try one out?

I would like to add to my 55 gallon tank to help keep nitrates under control. I do water changes all the time but I would rather see nitrates at zero rather than creeping up to 10-20ppm. Sometimes more if I'm bad and forget a change. I have already put down a sand bed that is around 3 inches or so. (hard to tell) I dont think I got it deep enough to be considered a DSB.

I have already reduced the bio-load in this tank down quite a bit by removing 5 inches of fish. So that will help. I also had planned on removing my bio-wheels as soon as I get some LR. However I am tempted not to make any more major changes as I may be moving within the next year. I dont want to add 100 pounds of LR to just have to turn around and move the whole tank anyways. When I move I will probably buy the 180 Gallon tank I want and set it up then move the inhabitants when its ready. That tank will be setup with a large sump and refugium when I get it so I can use macro-algae, DSB, or even mangroves in that.

Anyways, do you think a de-nitrator is an effective equipment option or is it a waste of time?

is the one you keep seeing a tube with yellow stuff in it, if it is my mate had one he said it had taken 2 weeks for it to fully work but still did not get it to zero but it was very close to it. P.S the stuff inside it smells real bad i meen really bad :X

blout said:
is the one you keep seeing a tube with yellow stuff in it, if it is my mate had one he said it had taken 2 weeks for it to fully work but still did not get it to zero but it was very close to it. P.S the stuff inside it smells real bad i meen really bad :X
I dont have one at all. I just keep hearing conflicting reports on these. After reading in further I may just suck it up and get live rock anyways. I will have to move it.... but I guess that wont be too much of a big deal. I wont be able to buy 100 pounds at once but I can slowly work it up :)

Navarre - I noticed on another post I dug up with the search. That you can put some macro algaes in the main tank. Any reccomendations there?

Macro algaes can go in main tanks, i actually kept Haliptilon and Halymenia in my old tank. I have some various pieces in my current tank though they are not very large. This does help with filtration of course and does add some nice colour and movment to the tank. THe only problem i can see of course is that if its not kept well managed then it can grow out of proportions and suffocate corals :sad:

Halemeda, Halymenia, Haliptilon, Acetabularia, Avrainvillea, Codaicea, Caulerpa Racemosa, Phodophyceae.

These are a few of the different species that can be placed in the main tank (or sump) a good mixture of these can look as equllay stunning as a tank full of corals.

I also use macros in my main as well as the sump. Looks great and cost alot less than a de-nitrator. I do know others who do use them and all have said that it take a month or so before the thing begins to work.

I would agree with taking those bio wheels off. I am a big fan of the hang on back refugiums. Just throw some sand, macro algae and a light over the top of the refugium and you are on your way to reducing nitrates and phosphates. What type of lighting do you have? After getting your nitrates and a manageable level, I would think about possibly getting a clam or two. If your lighting is strong enough I would definitely do this. I love the clams I have in my 37 gallon, and they have helped in keeping my nitrates under 5 ppm for a long time now. But before you would go ahead with the clam thing, I would make sure you have some sort of MH lighting, or if you have PC or VHO you could always keep the clams high up in the rock work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back