DB Cooper skyjacking mystery.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Documentary on bbc about this last night. Itā€™s one helluva tale no matter what your opinion on it.
I vaguely remember it on the news at the time and I read about it years ago. Mentioned it in passing to a couple of girls from California about 12 yrs back. Their families were originally from Seattle and they both thought it was the feller the fbi killed in a gunfight after his second escape from prison on the ā€œcopycatā€ skyjack sentence. They thought heā€™d lost the money first jump so went back for more.
Whats the verdicts from across the Atlantic then? More importantly were the Freshwaterfish Mafia behind it?

I remember when this went down, he would be lucky to have survived the jump but it was possible he did. They found some of the money years later. I have not seen any of the documentaries on the subject.

I remember when this went down, he would be lucky to have survived the jump but it was possible he did. They found some of the money years later. I have not seen any of the documentaries on the subject.
There looks to be double figures of documentaries on you tube. The one on the bbc last night is on there I believe. Storyville is the series name. It may just be a US one relabelled for fee?

Its a great story.
The found money nine years later apparently couldnā€™t have got where it was found without human help. The rubber bands perish within a year when open to weather and they were semi intact.
One of the two main suspects was living in Florida and happened to be in oregan six months prior to the money being found. His widow said they rowed about him throwing trash into the river upstream from the place the money was found. He confessed on his deathbed to her.
Turned out she never knew his real name as he had multiple drivers licences etc. All the shows suspects had stories worthy of a feature film.
The other main suspect got away with a copycat hijack six months later, was found with THAT money under his bed, escaped from prison twice and died in a gunfight with the FBI. We donā€™t have half the fun you lot over there do in the U.K.

No other money ever showed up. FBI lost his cigarette butts and onboard drinks glass so no fingerprints. Only unsolved skyjacking in American history. Amazing stuff.

Most reactions

Back