Day 4 of new Roma 240 Aquarium, Water change today?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Box of Demons

Reaction score
I will be doing a full Masterkit test of the water today, I know the ammonia will be high so no shrimps as yet. On day 4 should I do a water change? and if so how much 50%?

No it won't. The bacteria live bound to surfaces not free in the water. As long as you add water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramine, water changes will not harm the developing bacteria colonies.

You only need to do water changes when cycling with fish, and then only when daily tests show readings for ammonia or nitrite above zero. With fishless cycling, you don't need to do water changes.
In the video, you mention adding microbe-lite - have you also added ammonia? The bacteria need ammonia to multiply so you have to either add ammonia from a bottle or use fish to produce ammonia (this last one is not recommended nowadays).
The simplest way to cycle the tank is to use the bottle bacteria in addition to following this method

The alternative is to heavily plant the tank, wait till you are sure the plants are growing well and then add fish a few at a time, testing daily to make sure the plants are taking up all the ammonia.

The cloudiness you mentioned in the video is a bacterial bloom which is common in new tanks. Unfortunatley the bacteria which cause the bloom are not the ones we want to grow. Once they've eaten all the available food, they'll die and the water will clear but as each tank is different it is impossible to say how long this will take.

As @essjay says if you are doing a fishless cycle there is not much point in changing the water - unless you just want some practice :)
And if you haven't added an ammonia source there won't be any...

Can anyone advise me on the test results from that video is everything ok? Do I need add or do anything in the mean time before day 7 retest?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back