Dart Frogs In Aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi, Is it possible and or good idea, to keep these dart frogs in a 5gallon aquarium instead of terrarium cage? I was thinking of getting a pair of dart frogs in a fluval chi tank which is 5 gallons. Any links about keeping these guys would be cool too, thanks!

http://www.reptilechannel.com/care-sheets/poison-dart-frog.aspx

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/category/poison-dart-frog-care/

Just to let you know, it can be really expensive to keep these guys unless you grow your own food. They have to have pretty much a constant supply of flightless fruit flies, but those are easy to culture.
Also, you want at least 10 gallons of space per frog at adult size.

5 gallons is too small, and a Fluval Chi is not a suitable home for frogs.

Yes a 5 gallon fluval chi is nowhere near enough. I kept a couple of dart frogs a while back and tbh they are a pain to look after you have to culture your own food, make sure humidity stays up which is trickier than it sound when you have to heat the viv

Oh Okay, thanks for the links too :)

Hi, Is it possible and or good idea, to keep these dart frogs in a 5gallon aquarium instead of terrarium cage? I was thinking of getting a pair of dart frogs in a fluval chi tank which is 5 gallons. Any links about keeping these guys would be cool too, thanks!

I had 2 FB's in a 5.5 gal then got a 10 gal. and got 2 more FB's and all 4 are doing great! I have 60 water and 40 land. Mine have a screened lid, driftwood, treehouse, plants, smooth rocks, land area with eco earth substrate, and terra cotta pot for hiding. One of the four is skinny so I try to offer him more worms. With screened lid I can control himidity. Mine like it warm, there is a submersible heater at 76 degrees. Write if you have questions.

grayshark1956, wow sounds like you made a Utopia home for your frogs I bet they are very happy. how do you clean your water and land etc?

btw; I'd love to see a pic of your setup :D

Hi omega59, just seen this thread so I'm probably too late for you. Ideally, you don't need to clean the water/land in a vivarium because it is its' own ecosystem.

It's advisable to just have a small dish with water, not a pool as dart frogs are not good swimmers. You should change the water regularly and clean the dish. Stay away from anything chemical as the frogs absorb it through their skin. To clean the glass of the aquarium/vivarium use a lemon.

I would suggest joining a dart frog forum if you're really interested in starting this- dendroboard.com is good. I'll try and get a pic of my viv as it is now if you're still checking this thread!

Here are my guys, Cerulean & Sapphire: Sadly Sapphire died recently.

CeruleanSapphire2011128.jpg

oh WOW they are beautiful! atm I have not started anything due to being busy with a work change :(
I want to get one going tho really soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back