Dark Markings On Back Fin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OneOnion

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, my betta has some dark/grey markings on his caudal fin. He had them since I got him, and I think the markings might have spread. I thought it was fin rot at first, but fin rot is on the edge of fins, and the dark markings are like in the middle of the fins. They are kind of line shaped, and going parallel with the rays. It kind of looks like dirt or something. It doesn't come up in pictures, though, so I made a drawing of it on paint :p . Also, another reason it can't be fin rot is because he only has a little rips, and the markings aren't generally around those rips. I'd like to no what these are, please. Thanks!

find.png

P.S. The lines are thinner than what I put there, I just couldn't make them look right when they were thin.

If your sure its not fin rot, the only other thing i can think of is that its a young betta and has still not developed its colours properly. And they are coming out now.

One of my bettas done this too. :)

Hm, well he did seem smaller than the other ones. Wow, that will be nice to see what colors he turns out to be. Is there a chance that it's his natural coloring to have those spots and it won't change?

It's quite likely yes. A lot of bettas have spots and specks in their fins. Particularly the dalmation types ( hence the name of course )

However, keeping a very sharp eye on your water quality ( which you should do anyway ) and keeping his water in excellent order, should ensure his fins heal up so you can be absolutely certain it isn't fin rot.

Adding IAL or it's extract to his water may also help with healing. It is known for it's antibacterial properties.

Most reactions

Back