Dark green algae/diatom bloom on wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The film on the surface is most usually a protein film, more common in planted tanks. It is, again, related to organics. Over my 20+ years, I have had it only in a very few tanks, never in the others. I used to use the surface skimmer attachment for canister filters (I had Eheim) but aside from plant bits getting pulled in and clogging it, very small fish also got sucked in and they usually couldn't be rescued; otos were fond of getting themselves stuck. So I took off the skimmers.

The protein film is most likely to appear along with cyanobacteria or algae problems, which makes sense since they are all caused by the same thing, organics. Low oxygen will cause problems but not directly cyano. I have increased the surface disturbance just a tad to increase oxygen which I believe was minimal in the early morning after a night of CO2 building up naturally. I had no algae or cyano issues, but the increased surfacing of the corys alerted me to this, and the increased surface disturbance solved it. It doesn't take much, just some, and this was most likely due to the heavy planting in this tank. My smaller tanks, 40g and under, all have simple sponge filters and they have no issues with oxygen, CO2, algae, cyano...whatever.

So back to the film, I now see it some weeks but only in my 90g which has an organics issue that I cannot track down. I deal with the film by turning the water changing unit upside down under water and pulling in the surface water. Takes a bit of time, but it does work. I tried the paper towel on the surface method and it was a real mess and ineffective anyway.

Loving the idea of reversing the syphon to pull water from above. I'm sure it's tricky, but frankly I've tried skimming with a jug, turkey basters and every brand of paper towel trying to find an effective method to clear the film. Only constant agitation (and once a drop of melafix as the oil in it seems to split across the surface), has ever worked for me.

Didn't read every single post but... Thats blue green algae and yes,the bloom of brown diatoms is from the switch to cool LED lights.
For the blue green? You need to make bigger water changes and remove any excess muck in the tanks. It really helps to make more flow in the aquarium too..powerhead would help.
LED's..some (expensive) are perfect,many are too cool for my taste and promote black algae also. In the 70's and 80's I only used gro lux bulbs and NEVER saw black,brown algae. Even later when I got into plants and mixed bulbs with different colors for more intensity,I still never saw black or brown...but LED from the day I tried it?..there they were. So,I run fluorescents too and its made it much less of a problem.
Water changes as often as you can make them is algae's biggest enemy btw.

So much information here.
Wow!

Curiouser and curioser.
I have questions...
So.Many.Questions.

Days are long enough that I discontinued use of the LED,and I EXPECT.. big drop in BBA and even dots of slime algae that show up after a week of no water changes. Not anything rampant..but lets you know,if you stop the water changes..it will return. I'm heavy handed with feeding those fat Rainbowfish too. I even want to see my Angels with little boilers.

Well,when high summer came around? I found I had to use sheer curtains to change the light from direct sun to a "greenhouse whitewash" look. It has really helped. Algae on the back glass I was able to clean off and plant leaves are looking green with much less mottling from algae. I also broke down my homemade filter and washed out the muck..over the months it was motor oil black on the media in the lower levels.
I sort of miss undergravel filters. I knew them well and cleaning was kind of a drag,but otherwise they did the job well.

Days are long enough that I discontinued use of the LED,and I EXPECT.. big drop in BBA and even dots of slime algae that show up after a week of no water changes. Not anything rampant..but lets you know,if you stop the water changes..it will return. I'm heavy handed with feeding those fat Rainbowfish too. I even want to see my Angels with little boilers.
If a "boiler" means belly I want to see some pics.
:-

;) OK,But the female is the fat one. The male? He's some cultivar that has tested me. Not as hardy as the silver and black $3.99 dime sized female (now grown to 4" body) is. For two years all he will eat is Tetra Color flakes and freeze dried krill that I have to soak in warm water. Hassle. But,I do it. She also in breeding is rough on the guy..attacks him to where he's all confused. In a 240 gallon tank with plant and roots? He won't be driven away. He just follows her,in love I guess.

As far as algae? I have yet to make all go away. Spots of BG. Felty soft algae..that I wipe off the glass in areas of brightest light.
Its much better than last summer!...Sheer curtains made a big difference. No hair algae. I used to remove gobs of it twice a weak the first summer (2018)..to now be past that one is a relief.
I had a GF decades ago tell me "There is a solution to every problem". Just find it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back