Dan's Fish in Sheridan Wyoming

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
This is Dan's Fish in Sheridan Wyoming just 150 miles south of my location. Dan has been building a completely brand new operation from the ground up. You have to look up his website and see his YouTube videos to appreciate it. Just to tantalize you a little bit here are pictures of the 300 forty gallon tanks ! He should be up and running by June or even earlier. I can't wait to drive down and see this. I've run across his name several times on the Internet and he has a stellar reputation for live delivery, selection and satisfaction. Check out his website and subscribe to his newsletter.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 121
150 miles is a long way to go to get some fish.
Honey, I'm just going to the pet shop, be back in a few days :)
Really , it's not far at all in the mostly rural western United States. The drive is on interstate highway the whole way so you're never under 75 miles per hour. It's about two hours each way. I have to see this place. I figure I'm going to see all the different types of fish I've ever seen in my life and quite a few that I haven't. Going to be an expensive trip though. Gas both ways about $75 bucks , $20 or $30 for eats and at least a hundred on fish.

What's this, a real fish store in Wyoming??? Might have to take a road trip this summer. Always love going up to Sheridan anyway--one of my favorite towns.

150 miles is a long way to go to get some fish.
Honey, I'm just going to the pet shop, be back in a few days :)
By Wyoming/Montana standards, that's just a quick jaunt. :lol:

What's this, a real fish store in Wyoming??? Might have to take a road trip this summer. Always love going up to Sheridan anyway--one of my favorite towns.

By Wyoming/Montana standards, that's just a quick jaunt. :lol:
@WhistlingBadger Yessiree Bob ! Not just a real fish store but something like Mecca. You're probably going to drive up from the Lovell side over the top of the Bighorns. Don't get no more scenic than that.

I've seen one of his videos! He seems like he really knows his stuff! I can't drive up to Wyoming any time soon at all but I will check him out on YT when I find some time.

I have been a lot closer to Mecca, Saudi Arabia than to Sheridan, Wyoming.

It is not easy to make a go of a retail fish location these days. But he has one of the keys down already. One also needs to ship fish as well as selling from a store.

I would never drive 150 miles to a place like Dan is setting up with only 100💲to spend on fish. 💲💲💲💲💲

@TwoTankAmin Thanks ! I will take more money when I go.
You are right about it being tough to make a go of a fish store. It has always been that way. I've seen many come and go in my town over the years. The few that operated out of their homes, with low overhead , didn't seem to have an advantage over full line pet shops with a lot of merchandise to help out with sales. Let's face facts. Fish keeping isn't a real big hobby and selling a few fish here and there isn't a road to prosperity. There's a well known place in Oregon called Wet Spot that specializes in mail order of rare and hard to find fish. I think that's what Dan is going for and I wish him well.

Last edited:
I breed a few of the rarer, more pricey Hypancistrus plecos. I have worked with a few sellers. My current one is opening a store in Kentucky. I am aware of both LFS and Pets stores in my area going under. I also have about a 30 minute drive one of he better stores out there. To get a job there you have to pass a test of your fish knowledge. It is also about as expensive as any store I know.

I have participated in importing fish with s few folks I know who do it. The biggest risk is you get sick or dead fish. The wet spot is ht eretail outlet for the real business which is the wholesale end of it. I also know people who buy on that side of things. I met the head of Wstspot, (if he is the same one now) at the 2003 NEC weekend event if I remember the year correctly.

I have been pretty lucky in the fish I have bought. A lot came from breeds, a lot were imports, a few were wholesale and very few came from a retail store.

I basically pay for my hobby with the fish I am able to sell. More than that is not so easy. That is nough for me. i will say that selling has also allowed me to donate fish or the proceeds from sales to a number of orgs that support the hobby or work on conservation. That is a side bonus for me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back